When is the Best Time to Move a "J" Medsup to an "F" Or"G"??

View attachment 3687

Page 17 of the Producers handbook. Underwriting requirements for plans sold 5/1/2010 and previous is the same as new sales.

I was told the "Change with a phone call" thing also. This appears to be limited to plans with a 6/1/2010 and later plans.

Al
(when I took the picture, I hadn't started drinking. Don't know why it turned out that way:err:)

Didn't know that and I don't think I've ever looked at that producer handbook.

But back to your original issue, the plan J increases. What are they paying for a plan J here in FL?

But back to your original issue, the plan J increases. What are they paying for a plan J here in FL?

I don't think he is asking about one specific customer. I think he is asking about all of his clients still covered by Plan J with this carrier. He has an opinion, he's just trying to get a sense of how others would approach the problem.

My take on his question(s):

What's your professional opinion on keeping UHC members in Plan J (given that passing underwriting is required to switch)?

If a switches are indicated, what is your professional opinion on the product to switch to?

If switches are indicated, what is your professional opinion of how promptly they should be done?

(And LD muddied the water by asking if the upcoming presence of Plan G in this market should have any bearing on the decision(s). )

When is the Best Time to Move a "J" Medsup to an "F" Or"G"?

I would say in the morning, But not before coffee.

All joking aside, If its true the underwriting applies to plan J switches, Then the best time is while they are healthy enough,

Why wait for plan G, If you do it now they can always switch to plan G as there new plan will be after 2010, If you wait anything can happen, Although FL UHC underwriting is much easier then UHC other states

Plan J increases have been identical in percentage to F increases. That's why I really didn't think about it. After all, if they can change with a phone call, I'll wait until the rates diverge and then call.

Having to pass underwriting again is what prompted the original post.

Al

----------

I don't think he is asking about one specific customer. I think he is asking about all of his clients still covered by Plan J with this carrier. He has an opinion, he's just trying to get a sense of how others would approach the problem.

My take on his question(s):

What's your professional opinion on keeping UHC members in Plan J (given that passing underwriting is required to switch)?

If a switches are indicated, what is your professional opinion on the product to switch to?

If switches are indicated, what is your professional opinion of how promptly they should be done?

(And LD muddied the water by asking if the upcoming presence of Plan G in this market should have any bearing on the decision(s). )

I like your take better than my original question.

Al

So I have been watching the rate increases on my customers that bought "J" medsups and have not seen a divergence in percentage increase over "F". My thinking was that as long as the rate increases weren't diverging, there was no reason to suggest changing to the "F".

Tonight I decided to look up some info in my medsup producers handbook(on another topic) and discovered that for my UHC J customers, if they decided to switch to another medsup, they have to be underwritten....again. Yes. they still get (original)entry age premium but they must pass underwriting.

The question is,

Should I be approaching these folks to see if they can be underwritten and moved to the F ASAP? Or do I wait for the rates to diverge?

My initial thinking is to pursue this course immediately as a year from now, more would NOT be able to pass underwriting than today leaving them in a closed book and the inevitable rate hikes. But maybe there is something I'm missing..

I'm sure the old hands have confronted this before. Please help me decide.

Thanks
Al

ANSWER: Never

Move them to a Plan N. F wil be in a death spiral soon as well

ANSWER: Never

Move them to a Plan N. F wil be in a death spiral soon as well

Though I agree he might as well move them to a F or N plan now. J never went into a death spiral. At least here it didn't in FL

AND plan F will be different than J anyways. People will still be able to purchase plan F after 2020. Plan J just wasn't available after June 2010

Never is a good answer.

Plans D, F & G are on the chopping block for 2018 and with a republican elected the pending legislation will be enacted which eliminates these plans from the pool of plans.

First dollar coverage are history with Sup/MA reforms as they will save Medicare Billions of dollars as higher deductibles and coinsurance limits are reintroduced.

These first dollar plans create higher utilization of Medicare and adds costs to the plan choice.

From the Horses Mouth.

Skipper

Never is a good answer.

Plans D, F & G are on the chopping block for 2018 and with a republican elected the pending legislation will be enacted which eliminates these plans from the pool of plans.

First dollar coverage are history with Sup/MA reforms as they will save Medicare Billions of dollars as higher deductibles and coinsurance limits are reintroduced.

These first dollar plans create higher utilization of Medicare and adds costs to the plan choice.

From the Horses Mouth.

Skipper

No brother, Plan G is not on the chopping block. At least not for the foreseeable future. Now, if you have some info that we don't have, please share! I've been wrong before, so being wrong again won't bother me too much.

No brother, Plan G is not on the chopping block. At least not for the foreseeable future. Now, if you have some info that we don't have, please share! I've been wrong before, so being wrong again won't bother me too much.

If you are referring to HR 1470, then yes, plans C and F were slated for elimination.

Previous versions also included plan G.

Since this was a compromise to get past the democrats, then it is also feasible to believe that the cost savings of elimination of plan G would also be included next year in the new session.

Skipper.

Will all blocks of business, regardless of plan, close like they did in with modernization in 2010 (IIRC) or is 2020 supposed to be different?

EDIT: Now that I think of it, that was when Plan G started covering 100% of the Part B Excess instead of 80%, so that plan did change along with the introduction of Plan N and the others. So existing Plan G blocks had to be closed. But I had thought that Plan F, etc. all rebooted in 2010, with everything reopening fresh in 2010. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!

Regarding Plan J, I've seen some blocks of Plan J business that are lower than some closed as well as open blocks of Plan F business with the same company (a very competitive carrier) and in the same ballpark as currently available Plan G rates.

Back