Where\How do these lead\data companies get their data?

OneMorePolicy

Expert
I'm getting ready to start looking for MA clients and checked out some data companies' websites. That led me to wonder where\how these data companies gather their data? I thought I saw some categories whereby one could order data based on age , income, etc. Those parameters seem specific, and confidential, but maybe that's just my own personal values whereas others may be more inclined to freely give out personal info. Are the data companies' sources websites (then that would seem to exclude those who don't go online) or ? Plus I thought I saw one could order data of seniors who are about to become age 65 which seems extremely confidential info---how do data companies know that? Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone could offer some input of their methodology before I send away my precious dollars for a list.
:GEEK:

Very glad to see you're the type I mentioned above who is more than willing to give out personal info about themselves, ie age (date of birth is even more specific than I anticipated) and income range etc. Just the way I am about certain info, if someone's asking and I think it can't help me as far as I can tell, then it could hurt me, so I don't usually respond. I'd answer if it were in the appropriate circumstances (I've given out my ss# to a fellow poster in this forum, no questions asked on my part). My question remains though, where\how are these data companies gathering their data? Surveys, voter reg polls (shows I don't vote), Medicare data bank (yea right), etc? Anybody?

They are compiled from many different sources such as the ones you suggest.

Think you may be suffering "from data paranoia"? What damage can someone do with your date of birth? Now a credit card or SS#, that's a different story...

Check your credit report - you'll be surprised how much data is out there about you.

My nearly 80 year old father shredded every envelope that he received with his address on it.

He stopped when I said, "Dad, they already have your address..."

Not to mention it's in the phone book.

Yes, this is your life, John Q. Public!

For one thing, credit bureaus have more info on you than the FBI. The fact that they sell this info is repulsive to me, but I can't do anything about it at this point. However, when I recently purchased a phone list, I asked where they got their data, and they said "Equifax"!

Secondly, seniors are for the most part, trusting. Perhaps too much. They respond to mailers as a past-time. Most do not realize this is an invitation to have a sales agent call on them, they just want some more junk mail advertising. The sad thing is that many agents, against CMS rules, show up on their doorstep with that card in hand. I know this for a fact, because that is the way I was trained in the former group I was with. When I objected to this approach, I was told "When you get 17 years in this business like I have, then you can tell me what to do!" I left.

Not surprisingly, CMS took big steps to try to stop this practice last summer. I kept watching the newspaper to see if these guys got hammered. Last I heard, they were still at it. Recently, someone from a major insurance company called me about this, and I told him it was not my business to enforce compliance. I admit I should have turned these guys in last year, but too much time has elapsed and I am no longer working with them. Maybe they have turned over a new leaf .... (not!).

Correction: reporting credit bureau Experian, not Equifax. Sorry for the late correction,

Last edited:
Secondly, seniors are for the most part, trusting. Perhaps too much. They respond to mailers as a past-time. Most do not realize this is an invitation to have a sales agent call on them, they just want some more junk mail advertising. The sad thing is that many agents, against CMS rules, show up on their doorstep with that card in hand. I know this for a fact, because that is the way I was trained in the former group I was with. When I objected to this approach, I was told "When you get 17 years in this business like I have, then you can tell me what to do!" I left.

Not surprisingly, CMS took big steps to try to stop this practice last summer. I kept watching the newspaper to see if these guys got hammered. Last I heard, they were still at it. Recently, someone from a major insurance company called me about this, and I told him it was not my business to enforce compliance. I admit I should have turned these guys in last year, but too much time has elapsed and I am no longer working with them. Maybe they have turned over a new leaf .... (not!).

What is so bad about showing up on a seniors doorstep if they sent in a lead? As long as it is not for a MA then there is no compliance issues. Actually that is my favorite way to work leads.

What is so bad about showing up on a seniors doorstep if they sent in a lead? As long as it is not for a MA then there is no compliance issues. Actually that is my favorite way to work leads.

CMS regulations require an appointment. Lead cards are only acceptable if they are "fresh" (I can't remember the time requirement at the moment).

Most carriers insist on a telephone call. I think consideration is the real rule. Many seniors do not appreciate a stranger showing up on their doorstep unannounced.

Please call your prospects before going to their door.

To the OPs original querry, most lead companies I have spoken to have all told me they pull from the major credit bereaus and most of the info. is somehow public info. (?) that can be purchased.

Watch those free surveys... actually one is buying and selling info., when doing those, I learned.

I broker for 2 companies where I set the appointment for the agent and the company pays me. I have done it for 3 years now and use the leads where it shows name address ages income and to me those are the best leads and the cheapest..You can actualy get a 72 hour pass with info usa and i sign up for that and get 10,000 names at a time. Any lead like that is actually pulled from the census report and they work GREAT!

I broker for 2 companies where I set the appointment for the agent and the company pays me. I have done it for 3 years now and use the leads where it shows name address ages income and to me those are the best leads and the cheapest..You can actualy get a 72 hour pass with info usa and i sign up for that and get 10,000 names at a time. Any lead like that is actually pulled from the census report and they work GREAT!

HaHa, there's a creative loophole. I thought I had heard them all.

Back