Who Wants to Write Funeral Trusts the Right Way?

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I've had a LOT of calls from agents the last few days about Funeral Trusts. I gave my opinion on another thread that the two big marketers of them are going about it the wrong way and are NOT doing a good thing for the client and are making it hard for the agent to sell it.

Here is my opinion of them take it or leave it.

1. The easiest way to sell funeral trusts is to contract with a funeral home and market for them. I know of LOTS of agents who make great incomes consistantly year after year doing this. I don't know of ANYONE selling a volume of them separate from a funeral home.

2. The problem with doing it separate from a funeral home is that you LOSE the price guarantee and that's what MOST buyers of them are looking for. To try to sidetrack the consumer, the marketers have played up the "irrevocable" option and abuse it by making policies irrevocable for people who are not going on Medicaid.

3. The marketers of the funeral trusts are having agents give the clients between 2 to 3% annual policy growth and that's not enough to excite most healthy clients. You need something more exciting OR a price guarantee from their funeral home.

So what's the answer for the independent agent who wants to sell these products but doesn't want to camp out in the funeral home all day?

1. Sell the Settlers Life Funeral Trust rather than the NGL version to anyone who is reasonable healthy. They have the exact SAME funeral Trust or Estate Planning Trust but have a boosted face amount rather than the promise of non-guaranteed future growth. This is MUCH easier for your client to get excited about.

2. Sell the NGL for guaranteed issue cases BUT with several important stipulations that I can easily teach you.

3. Sell a guaranteed issue funeral trust that DOES have a nationwide funeral price guarantee as soon as it hits the market (contact me now for early-bird agent appointments.) Remember: a price guarantee DOES turn this into a VERY sellable product. And it's almost ready to launch.

If you're serious about selling funeral trusts (and many of you tell me you are) you need to know When to sell the Settlers version and when to use the NGL. When you use the Funeral trust and when to use the Estate Planning Trust. When to make it irrevocable and when to leave it revocable. And you need to know how and when and where and why you can give a written price guarantee from funeral homes nationwide which has never been offered before by anyone to independent agents.

Newby - what's up? I have e-mailed you on 2 occasions AND left a message with your wife and you still have not returned any of them !!!

I contacted Newby recently about contracting with him. He was kind enough to refer me to someone else because he said he was not taking on new agents at this time.

I contacted the guy he mentioned who is also on this forum. (I will not mention his name) He did contact me and sent contracting information but no contract levels. I have since left a message and email that I will not contract blindly and would like to speak with him before moving forward.

These guys must be very busy writing new business or something. They give great advice on this forum and offer their help in many ways but when it comes to recruiting a new agent for FE or Funeral Trusts I can't seem to find a good IMO.

I am with United Home Life with a great contract. I wrote $3,300 in AP this week. I only say this to show that I am serious.

I am looking for a strong contract with just a couple of more companies to make sure that I am prepared while in the field.

Specifically I would like to contract with:
Settlers, Royal Neighbors and possibly Forethought. I am open to suggestions from you seasoned pros too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry guys. Here's where I'm at with this. I'm first and foremost a producing agent.

I'm getting way too distracted with too many agents wanting contracts and training. It doesn't do you or me any good to have a whole mass of agents that can't get a hold of me.

I'm pretty much limiting myself now to agents that are already successfully selling face to face and just want to add Settlers, Monumental and/or American Memorial. If you want to sell by phone, I'm not really a good match for you. If you're brand new, I'm not able to give you the training you need.

I have been refering agents to Travis Tubbs if you want a structured training program and will accept a lower commission with it. He has many great success stories and is a straight up guy. Travis's average agent on a tighter contract makes more money than most agents with HUGE contracts.

I also refer agents to Brad Aden at 360 Financial if you are more self sufficent and want the higher contract levels and possibly a lead program.

I've also talked to Chris Westfall a couple of times and if you are wanting to try the NGL Funeral Trust Product separate from a funeral home, he is probably a good guy to contract with. He is building a team with that.

While I'm pointing agents in all directions, I also want to say that Mark Rosenthal is one of the good uplines also. I like people who will not only give you a contract but will give you all kinds of original ideas of how to sell it. Mark is a master at that.

The Price Guaranteed Funeral Trust Product that I spoke of earlier in this thread is STILL not ready yet. It's in the works. I'll post it here if and when it's out.

You're a good guy, Scott. Thank you for your insight into when to execute the funeral trust.. really opened a lot of eyes with that one.

Chris

Sorry guys. Here's where I'm at with this. I'm first and foremost a producing agent.

I'm getting way too distracted with too many agents wanting contracts and training. It doesn't do you or me any good to have a whole mass of agents that can't get a hold of me. .

While I'm pointing agents in all directions, I also want to say that Mark Rosenthal is one of the good uplines also. I like people who will not only give you a contract but will give you all kinds of original ideas of how to sell it. Mark is a master at that.

Thanks!! I have a ton of new ideas coming soon.

the voices in the head again.....give it the good fight..

CFO of Prepaid Funeral Firm Indicted in Alleged Multimillion Fraud Scheme
CFO of Prepaid Funeral Firm Indicted in Alleged Multimillion Fraud Scheme - - insurancenewsnet.com

Ah Yes, the ol' NPS girls. That's an old story from last year. Those of us in the industry spotted that as a scam a mile away.

The first give away was all their reps were Very HOT young women in short black skits. That is not normal in the funeral business. At FD conventions they set up putting greens so their "professionals" could bend over a lot and flash a lot of T & A.

But the real red alert was that they wouldn't tell anyone what insurance company was the funding vehicle for their contracts. And they "didn't allow" it to be rated by AM Best because they don't believe in A.M. Best.

There also was no stated rate of policy growth. Most companies have between 2.0% to 4.0% annual growth which is realistic. NPS would tell youthat their policies would grow at "however much the funeral home wanted to raise their prices each year"...yeah right. That's often 10% in 1-year.

No funeral director with ANY sense fell for this BS but...as to be expected...there were enough of them with no business sense that DID think with their small heads and some of them will possibly lose their business over this scam. I know of a couple right in my area that placed several hundred thousand dollars of business with them.

Anyone that fell for this one SHOULD be put out of business. It was too obvious and ANYONE with a lick of sense would not have fell for it.

the voices in the head again.....give it the good fight..

CFO of Prepaid Funeral Firm Indicted in Alleged Multimillion Fraud Scheme
CFO of Prepaid Funeral Firm Indicted in Alleged Multimillion Fraud Scheme - - insurancenewsnet.com

Ah Yes, the ol' NPS girls. That's an old story from last year. Those of us in the industry spotted that as a scam a mile away.

The first give away was all their reps were Very HOT young women in short black skits. That is not normal in the funeral business. At FD conventions they set up putting greens so their "professionals" could bend over a lot and flash a lot of T & A.

But the real red alert was that they wouldn't tell anyone what insurance company was the funding vehicle for their contracts. And they "didn't allow" it to be rated by AM Best because they don't believe in A.M. Best.

There also was no stated rate of policy growth. Most companies have between 2.0% to 4.0% annual growth which is realistic. NPS would tell youthat their policies would grow at "however much the funeral home wanted to raise their prices each year"...yeah right. That's often 10% in 1-year.

No funeral director with ANY sense fell for this BS but...as to be expected...there were enough of them with no business sense that DID think with their small heads and some of them will possibly lose their business over this scam. I know of a couple right in my area that placed several hundred thousand dollars of business with them.

Anyone that fell for this one SHOULD be put out of business. It was too obvious and ANYONE with a lick of sense would not have fell for it.

Last edited:
Back