Why Isn't Plan C Medigap Policy More Popular???

I was dealing with a nice old lady today that had a United Healthcare Medigap plan C.

She wasn't happy about the pricing and I was able to move her into a Plan G at a lower price...but that got me wondering.

Plan C is not a bad idea...but I know only of only one Company that currently sells it and I'm not sure if it's even sold in all states.

I can understand the popularity of F of course, and G has some advantages over F and C....but any reason why Plan C has never been a popular plan or some reason why more companies don't sell it???

More curious than anything. Thanks.

For the same reason G is more common than D. The price is very close so you might as well go with a plan that covers excess. I would sell C or D though if there was a big enough price difference...

I was dealing with a nice old lady today that had a United Healthcare Medigap plan C.

She wasn't happy about the pricing and I was able to move her into a Plan G at a lower price...but that got me wondering.

Plan C is not a bad idea...but I know only of only one Company that currently sells it and I'm not sure if it's even sold in all states.

I can understand the popularity of F of course, and G has some advantages over F and C....but any reason why Plan C has never been a popular plan or some reason why more companies don't sell it???

Plan "C" does not cover the part B excess charges. Otherwise it is identical to plan "F".

I think in some states Part B excess charges are not allowed. So in those states you could sell Plan "C" without worrying about the excess charges.:yes:

----------

This was taken from the CMS website about medigap plan.

"Each insurance company decides which Medigap policies it wants to sell, although state laws might affect which ones they offer. Insurance companies that sell Medigap policies:
Don't have to offer every Medigap plan
Must offer Medigap Plan A if they offer any Medigap policy
Must also offer Plan C or Plan F if they offer any plan"

----------

Also found this on the internet

"The following states do NOT allow any excess charges no matter what, due to the MOM Law (Medicare Overcharge Measure): Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont"

Thanks for the question as I was able to refresh my medigap education.:laugh:

Plan "C" does not cover the part B excess charges. Otherwise it is identical to plan "F".

I think in some states Part B excess charges are not allowed. So in those states you could sell Plan "C" without worrying about the excess charges.:yes:

Unless they happen to go out of state and need care.

Rick

A few years ago Plan C was the most popular out there. Then the companies decided they wanted to promote Plan F, so they started giving out more commission for Plan F. Once that started, Plan F became to most popular plan. Imagine that!

Back