Why Purchase Medsups ???

Where are you located? I know Florida has high premiums for Med Supp, but not every state is like Florida. I don't see such high premiums for Med Supps here in Georgia. At least not until they are much older. An 80 year old male can get a Plan G for $157.34 in my area (female $136.74).

I don't disagree with your analysis. A healthy person could definitely save money in a normal year on a Medicare Advantage plan compared to a Med Supp. But there are other factors involved. The biggest one being whether or not their doctor is in the network. Or the hospital they prefer. I find many seniors don't like restrictions of any kind. And some like knowing their worst case scenario is their Med Supp premium.

For the most part, my MA client base consists of those who just can't afford a Med Supp. However, I do have some who have the means but still choose a MA plan. And that's fine too. I will help them either way.

I am in Florida and between Aetna, UHC and Humana, most doctors here are in at least one of the networks, so that is usually not a problem. The cost and risk are not the only considerations in Florida. We have may people who spend part of the year down here and part of the year up north where they came from. "Snowbirds" I usually recommend a supp for them. If they have two homes, they can usually afford a supp, and they don't have to worry about networks.

I am in Florida and between Aetna, UHC and Humana, most doctors here are in at least one of the networks, so that is usually not a problem. The cost and risk are not the only considerations in Florida. We have may people who spend part of the year down here and part of the year up north where they came from. "Snowbirds" I usually recommend a supp for them. If they have two homes, they can usually afford a supp, and they don't have to worry about networks.

Do you sell them the Supp based on Florida residence or the other state in which they reside?

In other words, you only sell MA. What do you tell when they get a serious...chronic illness and can't qualify to get a Medicare Supplement.:confused:

In Florida I tell them even if you have cancer,copd,diabetes,west nile disease,epilepsy,polio,recent strokes,CHP ,amputations due to diabetes , had a baker's dozen heart attacks in the last 5 years due to your morbid obesity and uncontrolled HPB I can still write a medicare supplement for you with the carrier with the lowest premium in Fl.BCBS will do the same thing.I believe there are med supp carriers in just about every state that offers limited underwriting medigap.

Do you sell them the Supp based on Florida residence or the other state in which they reside?

I am only licensed in Florida. Most snowbirds have made residency in Florida. If they haven't changed their residency, I tell them they will need to sign up in the state where Soc. Sec. has as their address.

In Florida I tell them even if you have cancer,copd,diabetes,west nile disease,epilepsy,polio,recent strokes,CHP ,amputations due to diabetes , had a baker's dozen heart attacks in the last 5 years due to your morbid obesity and uncontrolled HPB I can still write a medicare supplement for you with the carrier with the lowest premium in Fl.BCBS will do the same thing.I believe there are med supp carriers in just about every state that offers limited underwriting medigap.

I assume you are referring to the AARP /UHC two health question ap? I don't work with BCBS so I have not seen their health questions.

Do you find you can still save people money by replacing Med Sups even though it is an Issue Age priced state, or do you focus on moveing from MA to Med Sup?

I still find even UHC wants agents to sell MA more then Supp

They probably make a lot more money on it

They even want agents to sell Medi/Medi's More even with the higher cancellation % they want that buis the most

There must be a reason

Yes they get more money for MA but they take on all the risk.The real reason they want MA members more then med supp members is they get more control of abuse and fraud and through health care management try to get a better outcome for members. Medicare is more of a financing organization then a healthcare plan.Get sick they pay but not so much on trying to keep you from getting sick. Definitely not a perfect system but a step in the right direction for Medicare's long term sustainability.

IDue to Fl's Medaid reform I have enrolled quite a few dual eligible s in MA plans who never had a MA plan before and often see people who are taking 10-15 different meds with no idea what they are taking the meds for and sometimes neither do all the different prescribing doctors.At least with coordinated health plans they can look for and try to help manage these type of cases.

Must be a Florida resident.

To sell them one based on Florida, yes. But if they have residency elsewhere it would be based on that state. I wasn't asking because I didn't know how it works. There was a purpose behind my question and she answered the way I had hoped she would.

I assume you are referring to the AARP /UHC two health question ap? I don't work with BCBS so I have not seen their health questions.

Do you find you can still save people money by replacing Med Sups even though it is an Issue Age priced state, or do you focus on moveing from MA to Med Sup?

I don't do a whole lot of replacement in Fl because the the two biggest players UHC and BCBS capture a significant share of the T65 crowd and they both allow policyholders to switch up or down within there plans and maintain original entry age.Now if I run in to a Banker's policy holder with half a brain that's another story

To sell them one based on Florida, yes. But if they have residency elsewhere it would be based on that state. I wasn't asking because I didn't know how it works. There was a purpose behind my question and she answered the way I had hoped she would.

Sman just giving me some AHIP practice ;) I'm not a she by the way, but you had a 50/50 chance!

Back