Why Purchase Medsups ???

insurance companies then charge the 65 year old the same rate as an 80 year old gets in other states!

Wow! That's quite a difference. You have actual rates to back that up, don't you?

I explain to them that there is a max limit OOP for MA,

And what do they say when you explain the OOP only applies to in-network approved claims?

If they are healthy, and only see their doc once or twice per year,

So we agree on something.

MA plans are great as long as the policyholder is in good health.

Do any of your clients ever have a sudden change in their health? Did they see it coming or was it unexpected?

I just want them to be educated, not scared by some agent who can't sell MA.

Are you saying they are too stupid to sell MA plans?

between Aetna, UHC and Humana, most doctors here are in at least one of the networks,

So you sell them 3 plans just to make sure they have coverage for "most of the doctors"?

If having unfettered access to docs and hospitals is a concern, then maybe an MA plan is not the best choice.

if I run in to a Banker's policy holder with half a brain that's another story

Is that when you go for one of those 2 question Medigap plans?

Admittedly, I don't recall seeing an application that asks if you only have half a brain, but I am pretty sure there may be other reasons to DQ them on a traditional app.

You have questioned several people's comments here, so I will answer only my comments you question:

And what do they say when you explain the OOP only applies to in-network approved claims?
If it's covered by Medicare, MA has to cover it. If it's not covered by Medicare, a supp won't cover it either.

If they are healthy, and only see their doc once or twice per year,

Do any of your clients ever have a sudden change in their health? Did they see it coming or was it unexpected?
This reminds me of an agent that I worked with for a VERY short time. He used to tell prospects about his mother, sister, aunt, whatever. About how they never bought a cancer policy, then got cancer. The stories were never true. I severed my relationship with him. I don't know what part of Georgia you work, but my prospects are smart enough to understand that anything can happen at any time. Sounds like you think you know what is better for them than they do.

No, I'm saying there are captive agents, i.e. Bankers, who don't have MA to sell, so they have to resort to derogatory scare tactics against MA in order to sell their limited and expensive products.

between Aetna, UHC and Humana, most doctors here are in at least one of the networks,
So you sell them 3 plans just to make sure they have coverage for "most of the doctors"?
You obviously don't sell MA. You can't put someone into 3 plans at once.

Wow! That's quite a difference. You have actual rates to back that up, don't you?

If having unfettered access to docs and hospitals is a concern, then maybe an MA plan is not the best choice.

Is that when you go for one of those 2 question Medigap plans?

Admittedly, I don't recall seeing an application that asks if you only have half a brain, but I am pretty sure there may be other reasons to DQ them on a traditional app.

So in a nutshell:

Med supp good

MA bad

Somarco: re -"insurance companies then charge the 65 year old the same rate as an 80 year old gets in other states!
Wow! That's quite a difference. You have actual rates to back that up, don't you?"

If you are referring to Florida (and likely other Issue Age states) you probably have the data too. Use Ritter, CSG or whoever. The policy rate cannot increase each year due to age, so the companies charge people turning 65 the same rate as an 80 year old ( or older) in other states. i.e. 65 year non smk old male in Palm Beach pays $236 /m for cheapest plan F. now..look up the same for your lovely state of GA ...kinda hard to get the Plan F price that high even at 80! Any questions? Need help looking up zip codes? ;-)

Somarco: re -"insurance companies then charge the 65 year old the same rate as an 80 year old gets in other states!
Wow! That's quite a difference. You have actual rates to back that up, don't you?"

If you are referring to Florida (and likely other Issue Age states) you probably have the data too. Use Ritter, CSG or whoever. The policy rate cannot increase each year due to age, so the companies charge people turning 65 the same rate as an 80 year old ( or older) in other states. i.e. 65 year non smk old male in Palm Beach pays $236 /m for cheapest plan F. now..look up the same for your lovely state of GA ...kinda hard to get the Plan F price that high even at 80! Any questions? Need help looking up zip codes? ;-)

Plan N is my go to in Fl

Also don't underestimate the restrictive MA networks and pre-authorization

I have a couple in Fl where the wife understood and got the supp and the Husb was die hard MA $0 prem

The wife had an accident and needed a surgery

the husb needed a stint

while he had to wait for pre-authorization and could not go to where he was recommended the wife had no issues in and out

he was sorry he didn't go supp luckily in fl underwriting is not tough

They will never switch back to MA

----------

You have questioned several people's comments here, so I will answer only my comments you question:

If it's covered by Medicare, MA has to cover it. If it's not covered by Medicare, a supp won't cover it either.

Did you ever have a client need part B med on MA?

This reminds me of an agent that I worked with for a VERY short time. He used to tell prospects about his mother, sister, aunt, whatever. About how they never bought a cancer policy, then got cancer. The stories were never true. I severed my relationship with him. I don't know what part of Georgia you work, but my prospects are smart enough to understand that anything can happen at any time. Sounds like you think you know what is better for them than they do.

I sell both but lean heavy on Supp, I have a client in NY had an MA with me for 2 years, Called me a month ago and said he has been having trouble because he got cancer and needed chemo, He was upset that sloan kettering charged out of network 40%

Lucky for him in NY there is no medical underwriting and the epic drug program is easy to qualify for and he was able to switch right away

This would not have been easy in another state

Last edited:
Plan N is my go to in Fl

Also don't underestimate the restrictive MA networks and pre-authorization

I have a couple in Fl where the wife understood and got the supp and the Husb was die hard MA $0 prem

The wife had an accident and needed a surgery

the husb needed a stint

while he had to wait for pre-authorization and could not go to where he was recommended the wife had no issues in and out

he was sorry he didn't go supp luckily in fl underwriting is not tough

They will never switch back to MA

----------

Did you ever have a client need part B med on MA?

I sell both but lean heavy on Supp, I have a client in NY had an MA with me for 2 years, Called me a month ago and said he has been having trouble because he got cancer and needed chemo, He was upset that sloan kettering charged out of network 40%

Lucky for him in NY there is no medical underwriting and the epic drug program is easy to qualify for and he was able to switch right away

This would not have been easy in another state

If it's Part B med, it's Medicare covered. If it's Medicare covered, MA has to cover it.

Yes, unexpected things can happen. I spend time with prospects to make sure they understand that. It is not up to me to scare, or force them to take the plan that I think they should take. It is my job to explain everything, then leave the decision up to them. I don't sell in NY, I sell in Florida, so I tell them how it works in Florida. Could one of my clients get cancer and be told that the only place to get treatment is the Mayo clinic up north? Of course they could. I tell them that, but also ask if they are worried about that scenario. As I said in one of my previous posts, some people are very risk averse. When I get one of those, that is healthy, only sees the doc once per year, is 65, but is very worried about the worst happening, I tell them that they are better off with a supp. Just for their peace of mind.

Last edited:
Plan N is my go to in Fl

If it's Part B med, it's Medicare covered. If it's Medicare covered, MA has to cover it.

Legitimate / serious question:

Considering the above quote concerning MA's have to cover Part B. That I know. But Part B only covers 80% of Medicare charged costs.

Doesn't that leave the client vulnerable to the other 20%? AND Don't MA plans have their own price schedule that may not be identical to Medicare Assignment?

Back