Why Purchase Medsups ???

Gulfman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends,

I'm a newguy so forgive me if i sound ignorant (but i am). I know that Med Adv. have an enrollment period later in the Year...but, Why would some purchase Med Supps vs. Med. Advant?

Med.Advantage Plans have much better coverage than Med Supps---and they look like they cost LE$$.

Why would some purchase Med Supps vs. Med. Advant?

Hi Friends,

I'm a newguy so forgive me if i sound ignorant (but i am). I know that Med Adv. have an enrollment period later in the Year...but, Why would some purchase Med Supps vs. Med. Advant?

Med.Advantage Plans have much better coverage than Med Supps---and they look like they cost LE$$.

Medicare advantage plans have network restrictions and rarely have "advantages" over med supps other than upfront price. A Plan F with a med supp pays everything Medicare does not, whereas your typical Medicare Advantage plan has between $4000 and $6700 M.O.O.P. which includes doctor and hospital copays, 20% coinsurance for chemo and on and on and on.

Hi Friends,

All I can say is WOW! MA plans have much better coverage than Med Supps? Really? Please list the ways in which MA plans have much better coverage than Med Supps.

Another factor is with MAPD you have to take the RX benefit that comes with the plan. Can be an issue depending on a senior's RX list.

Hi Friends,

Medsupps in reality, are a luxary purchase. they are not necessary to be insured. They are just extra insurance. Medicare by itself, is at least as good, if not better, than most people's insurance.

Since your in FL, (and I'm guessing around Tampa/sarasota area based on your name?) I can see why you might be biased toward MAPD. MAPD is very competitive around FL.

As for why someone might purchase a medsupp over MAPD:

1) peace of mind. Some people can comfortably fit $170-$185.mo in their budget for a plan F. and if they can do that, it gives them the peace of mind; knowing that they will never have any surprise copays out of pocket. All they have to worry about is a predictable $180/mo monthly premium.

2) networks. some doctors dont accept MAPD. which is something you dont have to worry about with medsupps

3) A lot of retirees in FL are snow birds (live in FL during the winter and live in the north during the summer). Because of this, it can be difficult for the insured to coordinate networks with an MAPD (if not impossible, with some of the local plans). For this reason, in many cases for a snow bird, it would much more beneficial for them to go with a supplement.

Not only benefit wise, What about network restrictions, Many places like Sloan Kettering. in NY also I know a client in FL finally switched to Supp with me because a place he wanted to get stint from in Fl also did not accept HMO from any company and out of network only from PPO

Also what about the fact you can purchase a $0 prem plan with great copays today and the way the wind blows maybe next year the only plans avail either high prem high copays or does not include your doc oh and by the way you got diagnosed with cancer and now you don't qualify for supp,

Great choice with that MA huh

Not only benefit wise, What about network restrictions, Many places like Sloan Kettering. in NY also I know a client in FL finally switched to Supp with me because a place he wanted to get stint from in Fl also did not accept HMO from any company and out of network only from PPO

Also what about the fact you can purchase a $0 prem plan with great copays today and the way the wind blows maybe next year the only plans avail either high prem high copays or does not include your doc oh and by the way you got diagnosed with cancer and now you don't qualify for supp,

Great choice with that MA huh

Depending on the market, a med supp premium is just too high...like Broward county FL, T65 is about $260/mo for Plan F from UHC or FL Blue plus $104.90 + Drug Plan and your close to $400/mo...

Depending on the market, a med supp premium is just too high...like Broward county FL, T65 is about $260/mo for Plan F from UHC or FL Blue plus $104.90 + Drug Plan and your close to $400/mo...

In NY and FL I find the Plan N is by far the best buy

Maybe i worded that wrong. I mean MORE COVERAGE for the $ and cheaper mth monthly op. Is that better ?
Yes---No?

LOL..."all i can say is WOW!"
(for a simple question, you sure are DRAMATIC mr.sman)

All I can say is WOW! MA plans have much better coverage than Med Supps? Really? Please list the ways in which MA plans have much better coverage than Med Supps.

MAPD is a great product for lower income seniors that aren't broke enough to qualify for Medicaid and not rich enough to comfortably afford Med Sup premiums. Also, to the guy that mentioned how Medicare itself is so great...don't forget that there is no max out of pocket with original Medicare!

Back