Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

Look what's happening to the individual health market. Nothing good happens when our government tries to run something. Just ask the post office who operates on continuous losses.

If they can get their hands on it, they will certainly try. On the other hand, our politicians have the best health coverage in the world, so why would they mess that up.

There are some amazingly dumb things being said in this thread. I have tried for a while to not comment, but I can't take it any longer.

People that think that insurance companies, and the Medicare insurance market will go away, or think that the government will ever pay 100% of medical bills are just plain naive.

One simple reason. Money. Let me explain to real quick how our political system works in the USA. One thing, and only one thing powers it, and that is money. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool, your enemy, or both.

Where does the bulk of that money come from for our beloved politicians (of any major or minor party)? Insurance companies. These D-bags will never do anything to cut their reelection campaign funds out of the picture. The political class needs the insurance companies for their money.

If we ever get "universal healthcare" in this country, it will not be in the form of the government paying for 100% of the costs. It will not be in the form of doctors working for the government. It will look like Medicare with a supplement, and/or Medicare Advantage. Or something very similar (Obamacare, Florida Medicaid system with the HMOs etc...)

The insurance companies will never be completely cut out. ever. Sorry progs, stop drooling over the idea that multi-billion dollar corporations will be put out of business, and that millions of people will lose their jobs. It will never happen.

Universal healthcare might happen. But it will be a private/public cooperative just like Medicare Advantage, Obamacare, and [in many parts of the country] Medicaid is.

For Medicare agents, universal healthcare would actually be a dream come true.

Look what's happening to the individual health market. Nothing good happens when our government tries to run something. Just ask the post office who operates on continuous losses.

If they can get their hands on it, they will certainly try. On the other hand, our politicians have the best health coverage in the world, so why would they mess that up.

Congress would exempt themselves just like they did when Obama Care was passed.

Congress would exempt themselves just like they did when Obama Care was passed.

Congress has Obamacare, it's just a special Gold plan that is a PPO. But, I agree with you. If they can, they will. If universal healthcare came around (which I don't think it will), they would have to do the same plan, right? There would be no insurance companies. I couldn't agree more with the Axeman a post up, Money talks and if anything, it would favor an agent.

I don't see how people under 65 premiums couldn't go down.

Current Mcare beneficiaries under 65 have enormous premiums. If you think the carriers can find a way to "discriminate" in favor of "healthy" people under 65 then please share that.

Also, why would under 65 Mcare be any different than Ocare? The sick people flock to Ocare while the healthy either go naked or buy junk plans.

Seems to me the sick people would buy a Medigap while the healthy people would opt out of a gap plan.

Given this premise, why do you think new U65 Medigap rates would decline?

check in with Vermont, Colorado and California

You forgot the Aloha state.

There is no reason to believe Medicare supplement pricing for those under 65 will generate lesser premiums than we see now.

I agree with your first two points, but strongly disagree on your last point. The only way currently that someone under 65 can have Medicare is if they have a permanent DISABILITY. This is why U65 Medigap rates are so high since only disabled people are cost sharing with each other. When healthy U65 people will be able to get Medigap plans the rates will decrease because insurance is socialized cost sharing. The biggest problem with Medicare for everyone is that hospitals will start closing down left and right and NOONE will have healthcare because no doctors will accept it. You may see some lower quality doctors decide to accept excess charges, but the vast majority of providers will stop accepting Medicare patients all together.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Medicare for everyone is that hospitals will start closing down left and right and NOONE will have healthcare because no doctors will accept it. You may see some lower quality doctors decide to accept excess charges, but the vast majority of providers will stop accepting Medicare patients all together.

Thank you for posting something that is shorter than war and peace.

I assume you have some reasoning behind what you wrote. Why would hospitals close or doctors not accept Medicare? That makes no sense. The only way there would be Medicare for U65 is if it was the only option. Otherwise there will be adverse selection.

Your comment about excess charges makes me believe you haven't a clue about assignment and why doctors (96%) accept it.

If you can clarify in 3 paragraphs or less it would be appreciated.

Rick

Current Mcare beneficiaries under 65 have enormous premiums. If you think the carriers can find a way to "discriminate" in favor of "healthy" people under 65 then please share that.

Also, why would under 65 Mcare be any different than Ocare? The sick people flock to Ocare while the healthy either go naked or buy junk plans.

Seems to me the sick people would buy a Medigap while the healthy people would opt out of a gap plan.

Given this premise, why do you think new U65 Medigap rates would decline?

You forgot the Aloha state.

Medicare supplements are exempt from the Affordable Care Act because they are optional SECONDARY coverage to primary Medicare.

Original Medicare will be different than Obamacare because Medicare is constant and involves higher Part B payments if their is no continuous coverage. Since Obamacare terminated the ability for carriers to underwrite policies, over 50% of people are just getting Obamacare when they need to use it and after their surgery is done, they stop paying the Obamacare policy premiums and let the policy lapse. The individual mandate penalty was an attempt to prevent this from happening, but the penalty was so small that people just choose to pay the annual penalty instead of the huge monthly premiums. This is the main reason why carriers are losing money to Obamacare and why the legislation doesn't work since policy holders are essentially buying their product after their house burns down and then cancelling the coverage after the policy buys them a new house.

I have had many people request dental insurance for immediate coverage just to have dental work done for them with admission from the person that after the work has been completed that they will stop paying for the dental premiums. This is why there is 0 coverage for comprehensive dental work for 1 year with many private dental plans. It is different for group insurance since premiums are constantly paid by employers as a condition of the beneficiary's employment.

----------

Thank you for posting something that is shorter than war and peace.

I assume you have some reasoning behind what you wrote. Why would hospitals close or doctors not accept Medicare? That makes no sense. The only way there would be Medicare for U65 is if it was the only option. Otherwise there will be adverse selection.

Your comment about excess charges makes me believe you haven't a clue about assignment and why doctors (96%) accept it.

If you can clarify in 3 paragraphs or less it would be appreciated.

Rick

Hospitals would close because Medicare pays too little compensation to providers. Medicare forces their fee schedule on the entire medical industry and Medicare forces the providers to not balance bill the remainder of the costs not paid for by Medicare. The only way for providers to get around this is to not accept Medicare assignment and bill excess charges (15% above 95% of Medicare approved compensation amounts) or to not accept any Medicare patients at all like some Mayo Clinics are doing.

Doctors are not allowed to privately bill Medicare beneficiaries outside of Medicare's fee schedule. The only two options providers have is to either A) bill excess charges or B) refuse all Medicare patients.

The majority of doctors will refuse Medicare patients and unless the Medicare acceptance laws change, that means the doctor is essentially put out of business and needs to find a new profession to work in.

96% of doctors accept Medicare assignment because they make up the losses of Medicare to the major medical patients. When the only option is Medicare's fee schedule the doctor won't make enough money to remain in practice because they won't be able to make up the difference in losses anywhere else.

UPDATE: President Trump promises to veto this legislation if it where to ever reach his desk. Trump just saved the entire healthcare industry from collapsing overnight. This bill is being backed by Democratic politicians who are seeking reelection so it appears to be political grandstanding to gain party votes from Democratic voters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lth-care-bill-never-reach-his-desk/667456001/

Last edited:
Hospitals would close because Medicare pays too little compensation to providers. Medicare forces their fee schedule on the entire medical industry and Medicare forces the providers to not balance bill the remainder of the costs not paid for by Medicare. The only way for providers to get around this is to not accept Medicare assignment and bill excess charges (15% above 95% of Medicare approved compensation amounts) or to not accept any Medicare patients at all like some Mayo Clinics are doing.

Doctors are not allowed to privately bill Medicare beneficiaries outside of Medicare's fee schedule. The only two options providers have is to either A) bill excess charges or B) refuse all Medicare patients.

The majority of doctors will refuse Medicare patients and unless the Medicare acceptance laws change, that means the doctor is essentially put out of business and needs to find a new profession to work in.

96% of doctors accept Medicare assignment because they make up the losses of Medicare to the major medical patients. When the only option is Medicare's fee schedule the doctor won't make enough money to remain in practice because they won't be able to make up the difference in losses anywhere else.

You've made some interesting statements. I assume you have something other than your opinion to back it up.

For example, why would a doctor not accept assignment today but not in the future. Since neither Medicare nor the supplement pays the doctor directly can you imagine the billing a collection nightmare if a doctor opts out of accepting assignment? (I assume you understand this but if not I can explain in greater detail).

Why do you think Medicare pays doctors/hospitals less than private insurance? Do you believe doctors are taking a loss on Medicare patients and if so are they too stupid to stop now but will in the future?

Please respond with less than 500 words.

Rick

Medicare supplements are exempt from the Affordable Care Act because they are optional SECONDARY coverage to primary Medicare.

Original Medicare will be different than Obamacare because Medicare is constant and involves higher Part B payments if their is no continuous coverage. Since Obamacare terminated the ability for carriers to underwrite policies, over 50% of people are just getting Obamacare when they need to use it and after their surgery is done, they stop paying the Obamacare policy premiums and let the policy lapse. The individual mandate penalty was an attempt to prevent this from happening, but the penalty was so small that people just choose to pay the annual penalty instead of the huge monthly premiums. This is the main reason why carriers are losing money to Obamacare and why the legislation doesn't work since policy holders are essentially buying their product after their house burns down and then cancelling the coverage after the policy buys them a new house.

I have had many people request dental insurance for immediate coverage just to have dental work done for them with admission from the person that after the work has been completed that they will stop paying for the dental premiums. This is why there is 0 coverage for comprehensive dental work for 1 year with many private dental plans. It is different for group insurance since premiums are constantly paid by employers as a condition of the beneficiary's employment.

----------

UPDATE: President Trump promises to veto this legislation if it where to ever reach his desk. Trump just saved the entire healthcare industry from collapsing overnight. This bill is being backed by Democratic politicians who are seeking reelection so it appears to be political grandstanding to gain party votes from Democratic voters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lth-care-bill-never-reach-his-desk/667456001/

I think your crystal ball has a crack in it.

Back