Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

J2727

Super Genius
We don't have universal healthcare (Medicare for all) in the USA yet. I'm fairly certain we are the only developed country without it. It's only a matter of time before it happens.

In fact, I think it will happen during the next Democratic Presidency and Congress (under Democrat majority), whether its after the 2020 election, or 2024 election, etc.).

I can't say for sure, but I don't believe there are any health insurance companies in "healthcare for all" countries that are offering "supplemental coverage" (like Med Supps) or an alternative version (like Medicare Advantage Plans). I'm fairly certain you just pay taxes and the cost is built into the taxes and all of your healthcare is covered.

If this happens in the USA, won't both sides of the Medicare business (Supps and Advantage plans) end? As well as all health insurance in general and all health insurance companies? I think so.

If so, insurance agents in the business will lose all their residuals and won't be able to sell any more since the business of Supps and Advantage Plans is over.

I see people here heavily into Supps and even Advantage Plans; some even ONLY in the Medicare business. All of that will be gone. No more business.

I think the clock is ticking and will run out in a few years.

What's your take?

Name a country with 300 million people that has national health care.

China. India. Indonesia is close (263.5 million)

----------

To answer the original post:

I fully expect to see it within my lifetime but not in the time frame that your discussing.

If anything it will be very similar to the medicare system we have today, with private insurance filling in the holes and gaps. Nearly 1/6 of the economy today is healthcare and it is a broken system (on that we all agree).

Expect a lot of bandaids and hodge podge policies...but in the end I agree with you. It's inevitable.

Last edited:
What they want and what they will get will be two different things. Way too much money from the companies involved with healthcare to get cut out of the equation. I think it will be some kind of hybrid that really wont fix the big problems in health care just cover more people.

----------

To answer the original post:

I fully expect to see it within my lifetime but not in the time frame that your discussing.

If anything it will be very similar to the medicare system we have today, with private insurance filling in the holes and gaps. Nearly 1/6 of the economy today is healthcare and it is a broken system (on that we all agree).

Expect a lot of bandaids and hodge podge policies...but in the end I agree with you. It's inevitable.

Not sure how "Universal" it is in all of those.

Name a country with 300 million people that has national health care.

How well does health care work for the residents in those countries? I never hear them mentioned as examples of ways to implement a system here.

Rick is right.

We will see Medicaid for all (who do not have employer or govt health insurance already) before Medicare for all. IFP market will continue to erode beyond what we see now and will morph into Medicaid.

Way too much money from the companies involved with healthcare to get cut out of the equation.

Which companies are those? How many of them are not participating in Medicare and Medicaid now?

Going to the doctors office will be like going to the DMV.

If/when it happens, I guess Ill just get sales jobs in another industry, and always remember how blessed and lucky I was to have the medsupp career when I did. Or start another business, there will be opportunities in the future that dont exist yet, so it's hard to see that far forward.

Back