Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?     
Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #1

State: J2727 is an Insurance Agent from
Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA? Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?
We don't have universal healthcare (Medicare for all) in the USA yet. I'm fairly certain we are the only developed country without it. It's only a matter of time before it happens.

In fact, I think it will happen during the next Democratic Presidency and Congress (under Democrat majority), whether its after the 2020 election, or 2024 election, etc.).

I can't say for sure, but I don't believe there are any health insurance companies in "healthcare for all" countries that are offering "supplemental coverage" (like Med Supps) or an alternative version (like Medicare Advantage Plans). I'm fairly certain you just pay taxes and the cost is built into the taxes and all of your healthcare is covered.

If this happens in the USA, won't both sides of the Medicare business (Supps and Advantage plans) end? As well as all health insurance in general and all health insurance companies? I think so.

If so, insurance agents in the business will lose all their residuals and won't be able to sell any more since the business of Supps and Advantage Plans is over.

I see people here heavily into Supps and even Advantage Plans; some even ONLY in the Medicare business. All of that will be gone. No more business.

I think the clock is ticking and will run out in a few years.

What's your take?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Guru
Dave020 on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: Dave020 is an Insurance Agent from California
Dave020 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA? Re: Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?
Right now this is CA specific but Michael Lujan gives a good breakdown of Single Payer and Universal Healthcare...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/calif...-michael-lujan

Reply With Quote to Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Guru
somarco on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA? Re: Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?
Name a country with 300 million people that has national health care.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Guru
GreenSky on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: GreenSky is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
GreenSky is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
We will wind up with Medicaid for all. There will be no need for supplements.

Like many, I will lose my renewals.

Rick
Old 08-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
Guru
TampaHound on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: TampaHound is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Originally Posted by somarco View Post
China. India. Indonesia is close (263.5 million)

----------

To answer the original post:

I fully expect to see it within my lifetime but not in the time frame that your discussing.

If anything it will be very similar to the medicare system we have today, with private insurance filling in the holes and gaps. Nearly 1/6 of the economy today is healthcare and it is a broken system (on that we all agree).

Expect a lot of bandaids and hodge podge policies...but in the end I agree with you. It's inevitable.

https://easy-feinsurance.com/

And now for something completely different: It's my motorcycle blog!!! Mostly just archived stuff now.

Last edited by TampaHound; 08-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Guru
Todd King on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by TampaHound View Post
Russia. China. India.
Okay, now for the bonus.....can you name a 4th one?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Super Genius

State: jlallgier is an Insurance Agent from
What they want and what they will get will be two different things. Way too much money from the companies involved with healthcare to get cut out of the equation. I think it will be some kind of hybrid that really wont fix the big problems in health care just cover more people.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Guru

State: agentjhc is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
agentjhc is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by TampaHound View Post

----------

To answer the original post:

I fully expect to see it within my lifetime but not in the time frame that your discussing.

If anything it will be very similar to the medicare system we have today, with private insurance filling in the holes and gaps. Nearly 1/6 of the economy today is healthcare and it is a broken system (on that we all agree).

Expect a lot of bandaids and hodge podge policies...but in the end I agree with you. It's inevitable.
Not sure how "Universal" it is in all of those.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Guru
somarco on Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA?

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club

How well does health care work for the residents in those countries? I never hear them mentioned as examples of ways to implement a system here.

Rick is right.

We will see Medicaid for all (who do not have employer or govt health insurance already) before Medicare for all. IFP market will continue to erode beyond what we see now and will morph into Medicaid.

Way too much money from the companies involved with healthcare to get cut out of the equation.
Which companies are those? How many of them are not participating in Medicare and Medicaid now?

The doctor is in. Five cents please.
Georgia Medicare Plans
GA Medicare Supplement Rates
(404) 252-5859
Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Guru

State: GoPokes is an Insurance Agent from Oklahoma
Going to the doctors office will be like going to the DMV.

If/when it happens, I guess Ill just get sales jobs in another industry, and always remember how blessed and lucky I was to have the medsupp career when I did. Or start another business, there will be opportunities in the future that dont exist yet, so it's hard to see that far forward.
Reply to Will Medicare Business End when Healthcare is Nationalized in the USA? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum