Working Walmart this Year - Cost to Agent $500.00?

Axe, rent a hotel conference room for a few days a week through aep, do a newspaper insert with the dates on it and your done. Its easier to write a room full of 20 then to figure out where 20 people are and driving around.

Axe, rent a hotel conference room for a few days a week through aep, do a newspaper insert with the dates on it and your done. Its easier to write a room full of 20 then to figure out where 20 people are and driving around.
Several problems with this. First, you must report all such events to CMS well in advance, per their regulations. Then there is the fact that not every carrier allows agents to do seminars. Humana and UHC are the worst, because they both want to protect their precious little career agent forces.

Several problems with this. First, you must report all such events to CMS well in advance, per their regulations. Then there is the fact that not every carrier allows agents to do seminars. Humana and UHC are the worst, because they both want to protect their precious little career agent forces.

Oh bother. Seminars are an excellent way to go if you can do a compliant presentation. I have an agent that does a seminar same day, morning and afternoon, same place through AEP for UHC. She has the support of management as well. Furthermore she writes more then just about anyone with the exception of insgal.

----------

Oh bother. Seminars are an excellent way to go if you can do a compliant presentation. I have an agent that does a seminar same day, morning and afternoon, same place through AEP for UHC. She has the support of management as well. Furthermore she writes more then just about anyone with the exception of insgal.
Humana wants sales from all channels and they work with me and my agents quite well.

My FMO contacted me again on Friday to see if I might be interested in this opportunity. I again said no thank you.

Now, they are saying you can "share" your spot. IE. one agent commits to a 20 hour week but can have other agents staff during that time. All agents must have at least (1) contract with the same FMO to share time.

You will be required to wear a stupid t - shirt. Now they are saying you may have to pay for said shirt.

You can talk about ACA that is why they want you in these stores by the end of August. Didn't mention a referral program, but what agent would be stupid enough to do that?

IF you meet certain criteria you might be reimbursed some of your initial $500.00 .. No guidelines on this yet. Other than you must sign in and out and get your sign in sheets in.

I see a big puddle, of muck.

Having worked a Wally World last year. I did not write (1) application on site. NOT one. I wrote all off site, made appointment, etc. Most shoppers have not planned on spending an extra hour , hour and half into their day.
Since each agent may have different plans they represent I also see applicants getting frustrated. "I was here on Sunday and Susy said you had Wellcare, and now today you are telling me you don't." etc. etc. etc.

Also, I can't predict how many of each plan I am going to sell. If I have to sell say 20 of each to get a portion of my money back, How could I commit to that production requirement before I see the plans for the year?

If you are new, it can be a good way to get some clients. My advice is to ask for EVERYTHING in writing and take a hard look at what you MUST do to reap the rewards. Plan on lots of down time. DO NOT over commit your time in the store. If you are sitting in Wally World for say 40 hours, when will you have time to do in home or seminars etc? If you do say YES to this opportunity, let your current clients know when you will be at WM and have them come to you. Use it as an office. Bring a book, bring thank you's, paperwork , etc. You will have a ton of down time. boring boring boring down time. No one talking or looking your way.

My favorite is a customer walked up to the booth and asked if I could help her with a paternity test... she thought the booth was a in store doctor location. It was pretty funny. Lots of folks thought booth was a cell phone Kiosk. Just saying..

On another note: I have been looking into some flea markets for this year and have a few lined up. Anyone want to share some tricks of the trade? I was planning on doing ACA and Medicare Supplements.

Yes, I am a flea market virgin....
feel free to PM me. Thanks

I do uhc seminars all the time and you only need 21 days to report, plan now.

----------

My FMO contacted me again on Friday to see if I might be interested in this opportunity. I again said no thank you.

Now, they are saying you can "share" your spot. IE. one agent commits to a 20 hour week but can have other agents staff during that time. All agents must have at least (1) contract with the same FMO to share time.

You will be required to wear a stupid t - shirt. Now they are saying you may have to pay for said shirt.

You can talk about ACA that is why they want you in these stores by the end of August. Didn't mention a referral program, but what agent would be stupid enough to do that?

IF you meet certain criteria you might be reimbursed some of your initial $500.00 .. No guidelines on this yet. Other than you must sign in and out and get your sign in sheets in.

I see a big puddle, of muck.

Having worked a Wally World last year. I did not write (1) application on site. NOT one. I wrote all off site, made appointment, etc. Most shoppers have not planned on spending an extra hour , hour and half into their day.
Since each agent may have different plans they represent I also see applicants getting frustrated. "I was here on Sunday and Susy said you had Wellcare, and now today you are telling me you don't." etc. etc. etc.

Also, I can't predict how many of each plan I am going to sell. If I have to sell say 20 of each to get a portion of my money back, How could I commit to that production requirement before I see the plans for the year?

If you are new, it can be a good way to get some clients. My advice is to ask for EVERYTHING in writing and take a hard look at what you MUST do to reap the rewards. Plan on lots of down time. DO NOT over commit your time in the store. If you are sitting in Wally World for say 40 hours, when will you have time to do in home or seminars etc? If you do say YES to this opportunity, let your current clients know when you will be at WM and have them come to you. Use it as an office. Bring a book, bring thank you's, paperwork , etc. You will have a ton of down time. boring boring boring down time. No one talking or looking your way.

My favorite is a customer walked up to the booth and asked if I could help her with a paternity test... she thought the booth was a in store doctor location. It was pretty funny. Lots of folks thought booth was a cell phone Kiosk. Just saying..

On another note: I have been looking into some flea markets for this year and have a few lined up. Anyone want to share some tricks of the trade? I was planning on doing ACA and Medicare Supplements.

Yes, I am a flea market virgin....
feel free to PM me. Thanks

Not any of the same info I received regarding Walmart, interesting to see how this plays out.
I was at a flea market for aep and it sucked. People don't go to flea markets for insurance but sure go to seminars for it.
;)

Humana wants sales from all channels and they work with me and my agents quite well.

Brian,
What does that mean?
Does Humana allow your agents to do seminars, or not?
In our neck of the woods, the regional sales director for Humana is very protective of his precious little career agents. Only career agents can do seminars (because only they have the "proper training").
:skeptical:

Pretty much the same for UHC, although I do understand they will allow a few select agents to do seminars after passing a battery of tests and proving their worth, etc.

:goofy:

I have had UHC for 7 years now and have always done seminars, you only have to complete the usual certifications and the elective for marketing and kioske and your good to go.
Yes you have to report them, there is a form that needs to be submitted to cms, you can find it on your agent portal.

Brian,
What does that mean?
Does Humana allow your agents to do seminars, or not?
In our neck of the woods, the regional sales director for Humana is very protective of his precious little career agents. Only career agents can do seminars (because only they have the "proper training").
:skeptical:

Pretty much the same for UHC, although I do understand they will allow a few select agents to do seminars after passing a battery of tests and proving their worth, etc.

:goofy:

I can see that. I am a former career agent. Also moved from one state to another. There is no unifomity when it comes to their state directors and their management style. Yes I can do Humana seminars if I wish. Heck I even get their leads during AEP after their career agent spends a week in my area. Last year in the state I moved from I know the delegated manager did a few presentations at seminars for some the higher producing delegated agents. Oh, he was just let go a month ago but there is another thread about Humana downsizing.

I agree. I worked last year and did ok. Nothing to write home about.
However, it was my first AEP and I thought "WHY NOT?"

I mainly said yes, to work Walmart for ACA, thinking it would be like taking candy from a baby. It wasn't. Lot's of too poor, no english, no job, no tax return folks.

Moved on to plan B really fast.

But.. it never hurts to see what is out there and weigh options.

A new agent will have a ard time "floating" money for a 6 to 7 month period, to play at Walmart. (You will begin sitting in August, to get all those SEP ACA folks)

Roadrunner, you have made a very accurate comment of the wal-mart situation. I worked a few Wal-Marts in the chicago area last year and this year. Last year, I wrote 7 MAPD and 20PDP for 20 hours a week. It was not a huge money maker as promised. I was not given the opportunity to work the same walmart this year and the location that was selected for me is awful and a complete waste of time. If you are dealing with a dual-eligible crowd (which most wal-mart shoppers probably are), you are wasting your time in IL.

----------

I have had UHC for 7 years now and have always done seminars, you only have to complete the usual certifications and the elective for marketing and kioske and your good to go.
Yes you have to report them, there is a form that needs to be submitted to cms, you can find it on your agent portal.

I have worked at the Wal-mart kiosks for the past two years and am not aware of any $500.00 charge?

Back