Working Walmart this Year - Cost to Agent $500.00?

roadrunner

Super Genius
I received an email from my FMO in regards to working a Walmart this year.

Has anyone else has heard the same. More information?

"We would like to announce a new marketing alliance with Tranzac(Direct Health) whom Walmart has chosen to direct all Medicare Advantage and PDP
distribution through their stores. No longer will it be just one company offered as Walmart wants to offer multiple carriers so that their clients can have the best choice in their healthcare.

I called to get more details, and was told the following.

1. Agent will pay $500.00 for the pleasure of working at Walmart

2. Agent will receive a free t -shirt that says Direct Health (really it will cost $500.00)

3. Agent must be certified to offer (3) different companies

4. Kiosk will be tagged and bannered with Direct Health signage

5. Agent must work a min of 15 hours

So, here is my question. Is this going on across the board? Or is this a "deal" my FMO is putting together?

Call me crazy, but I thought CMS prohibited agents from comparing plans?

I received an email from my FMO in regards to working a Walmart this year.

Has anyone else has heard the same. More information?

"We would like to announce a new marketing alliance with Tranzac(Direct Health) whom Walmart has chosen to direct all Medicare Advantage and PDP
distribution through their stores. No longer will it be just one company offered as Walmart wants to offer multiple carriers so that their clients can have the best choice in their healthcare.

I called to get more details, and was told the following.

1. Agent will pay $500.00 for the pleasure of working at Walmart

2. Agent will receive a free t -shirt that says Direct Health (really it will cost $500.00)

3. Agent must be certified to offer (3) different companies

4. Kiosk will be tagged and bannered with Direct Health signage

5. Agent must work a min of 15 hours

So, here is my question. Is this going on across the board? Or is this a "deal" my FMO is putting together?

Call me crazy, but I thought CMS prohibited agents from comparing plans?

Pretty sure this is going on across the board. Saw an email my FMO for Humana just sent to Transac asking for further details.

It's all across the board.
Its a real good opportunity for new agents to write some business. Seasoned agents should be holding seminars and reaping those rewards.

It's all across the board. Its a real good opportunity for new agents to write some business. Seasoned agents should be holding seminars and reaping those rewards.

Sure, but who's been paying this cost prior to this? Maybe the FMOs should pony up some of this for producing partners? It would seem only fair.

The fmo's have been paying it previously and now 1 company has the rights to all the walmarts nationwide, fmo's are out of it.

I worked a Walmart for Humana a couple years ago with, at best, lukewarm results. Could have been the location or the days/hours I worked, but the other agents who worked there didn't set any records either.

No way I would pay $500 for "the pleasure of working at Walmart."

However, I did see plenty of interesting people.

I believe Bob brought up the idea to sit in the food court at the mall when the seniors are doing their morning laps with a cup of coffee and a sign that says "I know Medicare" or something to that effect.

Sounds like a better plan to me. Bring your laptop, catch up on e-mails, make some contacts, have them sign a scope and sell.

Last edited:
I agree. I worked last year and did ok. Nothing to write home about.
However, it was my first AEP and I thought "WHY NOT?"

I mainly said yes, to work Walmart for ACA, thinking it would be like taking candy from a baby. It wasn't. Lot's of too poor, no english, no job, no tax return folks.

Moved on to plan B really fast.

But.. it never hurts to see what is out there and weigh options.

A new agent will have a hard time "floating" money for a 6 to 7 month period, to play at Walmart. (You will begin sitting in August, to get all those SEP ACA folks)

Walmart sales are location, location, location. Blue collar town with a lot of SS only recipients are gold for MAPD's. Lots of well off retirees and ex-military, not so much. Lot of them have TriCare and Supps paid for by their former employers.
Humana told me they have 1st pick on locations. Not sure what that means.

Back