To; Xrac- Why Combined Insurance

I'm thinking of joining combined strictly for the training. I would stay for three months max.

I have 30+ years of sales experience in various industries. I see you mention combined for training quite A few times.

My question to you is - Do you think combined Teaches you how to sell insurance (product knowledge) and not just how to be a salesman period?

I think it would be ridiculous to start out independent without knowledge of the industry and what your actually selling.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Never thought I would be an insurance salesman but I needed a job and took a position with Combined in 1992 selling the sickness policies and med supps and went from zero to hero ( 8,000 a year to 45,000 ) in 3 years before I realized I didn't need the Combined regiment to sell insurance on my own.

Now 22 years later as an insurance salesman knowing now what I didn't know then about the insurance biz I would never in a million years have taken that position but.........

I would have never been as successful as an agent as I am now if I wasn't so ignorant about the insurance sales industry and plunged in to it without a clue. I was forced to go through that hard core training, constant rah rah go em positive thinking meetings and the crazy high activity level expectation for low commission rates.

Everything afterwords has been a piece of cake for twice the commissions compared to working at Combined.

Never thought I would be an insurance salesman but I needed a job and took a position with Combined in 1992 selling the sickness policies and med supps and went from zero to hero ( 8,000 a year to 45,000 ) in 3 years before I realized I didn't need the Combined regiment to sell insurance on my own.

Now 22 years later as an insurance salesman knowing now what I didn't know then about the insurance biz I would never in a million years have taken that position but.........

I would have never been as successful as an agent as I am now if I wasn't so ignorant about the insurance sales industry and plunged in to it without a clue. I was forced to go through that hard core training, constant rah rah go em positive thinking meetings and the crazy high activity level expectation for low commission rates.

Everything afterwords has been a piece of cake for twice the commissions compared to working at Combined.

I do not know that Combined is a good long term home but it can be a great place for a greenhorn to get their feet on the groundand learn.

Last edited:
Besides all the cool aid chants, what are some other differences between worksite & the regular combined route? How many hours do you work on the average day? Have you pulled in 40k or more since you been there? What products did you sell and did they give you in depth training?

It is employee benefits. Products are term, UL, DI, CI, cancer, accident and hospital. You work as many hours as you want. There is a conference call on Fridays you'll have to call into. One week of training in Chicago. One week of training in the field. A couple of days of product training and ongoing support. I've made about $33,000, but I'd say only $25,000 with them. I'm selling individual life on the side. You get a 12 week $600 per week salary then it's commish only. The 600 is not a draw.

Ride along with a Combined manager for a coupleof ads and see if thy are a fit fr what you want

I rode with an agent for a day. We visited places to pick up checks and try to sell more policies. Started the day meeting the manager in an actual hotel room. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. Then they did their chanting.

We visited a funeral home, police station, nasty strip joint and a pawn shop. The pawn shop guy bought more insurance. "I was shot last year so get me some more insurance."

The manager called me the next day and asked if I wanted to work with them. I laughed into the phone and said "Hell No!" :D

I rode with an agent for a day. We visited places to pick up checks and try to sell more policies. Started the day meeting the manager in an actual hotel room. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. Then they did their chanting.

We visited a funeral home, police station, nasty strip joint and a pawn shop. The pawn shop guy bought more insurance. "I was shot last year so get me some more insurance."

The manager called me the next day and asked if I wanted to work with them. I laughed into the phone and said "Hell No!" :D

Strip joint, right up my alley. But seriously if I'm interested in medigap, fe & ltc, where do you think would be the best place to start? Training and all.

----------

It is employee benefits. Products are term, UL, DI, CI, cancer, accident and hospital. You work as many hours as you want. There is a conference call on Fridays you'll have to call into. One week of training in Chicago. One week of training in the field. A couple of days of product training and ongoing support. I've made about $33,000, but I'd say only $25,000 with them. I'm selling individual life on the side. You get a 12 week $600 per week salary then it's commish only. The 600 is not a draw.

If I am interested in med supps and fe, do you think I should rethink combined worksite or do you think the training alone would be worth it regardless of product?

Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

Strip joint, right up my alley. But seriously if I'm interested in medigap, fe & ltc, where do you think would be the best place to start? Training and all.

----------

If I am interested in med supps and fe, do you think I should rethink combined worksite or do you think the training alone would be worth it regardless of product?

Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

I would definitely do it again.

Let me explain my situation. Blue collar background before Combined. I still plan on doing employee benefits, but with another company and much higher contracts.

I started dabbling in Individual life in April including FE. I just picked up a med supp contract so I haven't sold one yet. I figured out that employee benefits are dead at certain times of the year.

When I do an enrollment I'm sitting down with the employees one on one. They may not get a payroll deduction policy with me, but they have friends, siblings, parents and grandparents. See where I'm going with this?

I did an enrollment last week and got 3 life leads. I know it'll turn into money.

Two weeks ago the HR girl from one of my accounts called me. They are building a house and the bank said her husband needed life insurance. She called me. I made $550.

I'm just trying to work every angle, but still trying to find my niche to be the most efficient I can be. I may pick one or the other to concentrate on eventually, but right now I'm just feeling everything out.

I've dabbled with cold calling for life and have had a little success with that as well.

I can't say it would be the right move for you, but I'm a year in and still hanging on.

Hope this helps.

I would definitely do it again.

Let me explain my situation. Blue collar background before Combined. I still plan on doing employee benefits, but with another company and much higher contracts.

I started dabbling in Individual life in April including FE. I just picked up a med supp contract so I haven't sold one yet. I figured out that employee benefits are dead at certain times of the year.

When I do an enrollment I'm sitting down with the employees one on one. They may not get a payroll deduction policy with me, but they have friends, siblings, parents and grandparents. See where I'm going with this?

I did an enrollment last week and got 3 life leads. I know it'll turn into money.

Two weeks ago the HR girl from one of my accounts called me. They are building a house and the bank said her husband needed life insurance. She called me. I made $550.

I'm just trying to work every angle, but still trying to find my niche to be the most efficient I can be. I may pick one or the other to concentrate on eventually, but right now I'm just feeling everything out.

I've dabbled with cold calling for life and have had a little success with that as well.

I can't say it would be the right move for you, but I'm a year in and still hanging on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is very helpful and appreciated. I'm just nervous and confused as this a big risk and change in my life, so I appreciate the feedback. Just looking to do the right thing. How was Chicago by the way? Does combined give you an instant release if you decide to go somewhere else and sell the same types of insurance?

One more thing too. When my sales slowed down, I asked if they would make me a trainer so I could make some extra money here and there. They told me I wasn't experienced enough. My reply was "I've went out and opened 15 new accounts on my own by walking into a business and asking for the owner. I can teach somebody else to do the same thing."

Well, they gave me a shot at it and every person I've trained has opened a new account. I made sure I backed up what I said I could do. Point being, they gave me a chance and I thought that was pretty cool of them.

----------

Thanks, that is very helpful and appreciated. I'm just nervous and confused as this a big risk and change in my life, so I appreciate the feedback. Just looking to do the right thing. How was Chicago by the way? Does combined give you an instant release if you decide to go somewhere else and sell the same types of insurance?

I'll be in Delaware training another agent this week. I'll look at my contract one night at the hotel and tell you what it says. I'll pm you my email. Just shoot me a reminder on Tuesday.

The week in Chicago was a lot to take in. Lots of Advil. :-) I had the bottle sitting on my table. The instructor at the time would just look at me and smile when I reached to pop 3 or 4.

One more thing too. When my sales slowed down, I asked if they would make me a trainer so I could make some extra money here and there. They told me I wasn't experienced enough. My reply was "I've went out and opened 15 new accounts on my own by walking into a business and asking for the owner. I can teach somebody else to do the same thing."

Well, they gave me a shot at it and every person I've trained has opened a new account. I made sure I backed up what I said I could do. Point being, they gave me a chance and I thought that was pretty cool of them.

----------

I'll be in Delaware training another agent this week. I'll look at my contract one night at the hotel and tell you what it says. I'll pm you my email. Just shoot me a reminder on Tuesday.

The week in Chicago was a lot to take in. Lots of Advil. :-) I had the bottle sitting on my table. The instructor at the time would just look at me and smile when I reached to pop 3 or 4.

That is pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back