Best Laptop To Use and Which to Avoid

MIM

Guru
100+ Post Club
It's been a while since I've posted on this forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I was just wondering what everyone's experience has been with laptops ? What has been your favorite vs most hated ? I've had a Dell Inspiron and it's been really good to me. But now it's kinda old (4 years) and it's really sluggish. I don't know too much about computers and would really appreciate any input. Thanks guys!

MIM :GEEK::idea:

Usually custom built computers will be more efficient and be more reliable long term than a stock built model like dell. This will require a lot of research into what you specifically want vs budget, and you will get a better end product. I recommend Sager.

Whatever you buy, I suggest you buy it from Sam's Club or Costco.

You get a 90 day return policy on computers. That gives you 90 days to try to kill it, then bring it back with no questions asked.

SSD or HDD?

Night & day difference in performance.

I put SSD in my 2008. 9 years old & still useable.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

install free version. Last guy I helped had 500 pieces of Malware & he didn't need a new computer.

I would like to know how many pieces of Malware you have?

I had bad experience with Dell 4k laptop about year ago. They had me mail it to them. Asked them to call me. Dell boxed it back up sent it back to me & said no problem. There for sure was a problem. I returned it to where I purchased & will try to avoid doing business with Dell. Mine is an Asus & I've been happy with it.

grrr original post was 2015.

Last edited:
Last week I bought a surface pro (about the same price as a MacBook pro), and holy cow is it amazing. It's a little big for a tablet, but it's a complete computer not running a limited operating system so you can literally do anything on it you can do on a computer and you can take it anywhere.

I prefer business-class laptops such as Dell Latitudes, HP ProBook, or HP EliteBook. You can pick up used ones for pretty cheap on ebay. They are well-built, and have replaceable components easily found on ebay. Plus, they usually work with docking stations that make them far easier to use between home and office.

I've often thought about buying a Surface Pro tablet computer, but the idea of spending $2k on a computer that I can't fix or upgrade... just make them very expensive disposable computers. I kept my last laptop for 5 1/2 years and I simply prefer REAL computers. I've also got an Apple iPad... and I apparently don't "get" what the big deal is about them. They're fun, and some basic functionality, but that's about it.

Back