Chromebook

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Anyone use a Chromebook and/or google apps? 2 people I know say they love their Chromebooks and using Google Apps

I am using a Chromebook now. Also have 2 Chromeboxes in lieu of desktop computers.

Got the Chromebook because I wanted something small and lightweight to take on trips where internet is available. Desktop running Windows XP and needed to be replaced so I opted for a Chromebox.

The desktop belonged to my wife and she never updated it. Problem solved with Chromebox.

I am probably not a heavy app users but I do like docs and calendar. The ability to upload files to the cloud then download on another computer saves a lot of time.

My business model is mostly phone, email, internet so I don't need a heavy duty machine and I don't play games.

I use the calendar function to set reminders. If the person I need to call has gmail I can enter their email in the notification box and they get a reminder too.

The Chromebook is a couple of years old, Chrome box since last summer. Had my first issue a couple of days ago. Apparently my profile on Chromebox got corrupted. I could log in but the computer would freeze up within a minute or so.

I could log in as guest or as my wife, but not me. Took a while to track down the problem. Solved by doing a clean reset (Powerwash).

In less than 5 minutes I was up and running again.

Only complaint was I lost files stored on the drive in the download folder. Pretty sure all of them had been backed up on a portable drive or transferred to my main computer. Had I known those files would disappear I would have tried to make sure I had a copy somewhere.

As an agent, I wanted to go completely cloud-based, but didn't due to HIPAA reasons. After starting up the new business, I'm completely cloud-based, mostly around the Google Apps suite and our service.

I highly recommend it, but I would pay the extra amount for the encrypted email solution Google offers or at least install it (I can't remember what it is now).

HP has a chromebook with a built in cell modem and you get 200MB of data free a month for life.

I use this a lot to do email when I don't have access to wifi somewhere, which doesn't happen a lot, but does happen.

Alternatively, the Chromebooks seem to tether pretty well to phones as well.

The only thing it doesn't do that I could use is Skype. Yes, you can do google hangouts, but I do a lot with Skype as well.

My only real suggestion is to get 4 gig of memory rather than 2. My Chromebox has 2 and it works okay, my Chromebook has 4 and it works better.

Dan

200mb isn't a lot of data but as long as you have access to wifi it may not matter. When I have traveled I used it in hotels and McD where there is free wifi and I am not needing a secure connection.

Like Dan said, it works well with your cell but setting up a hotspot uses a lot of your data plan. I have tethered mine a few times and you can almost see the meter running on your data counter.

Data isn't bad if all you do is email.
Stream videos? Data through the roof! Windows laptops deciding to update every program on your cell phone data connection? Big usage.

Most of the time though, its not hard to find a wifi connection that eliminates the need for the cell modem, but its an awesome backup when you do need it.

I like my Chromebook though. Battery lasts for many hours (6+), its lightweight, screen is okay, data is all in my google account, just works.

Dan

Back