Windows XP Diehards

Robert Barney

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm a Windows XP Diehard. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But Microsoft is pulling the plug in April and while your XP will continue to cruise along, no more security updates. That is not going unnoticed given how many people like me, are still running XP.

Some food for thought:

Perspective: Microsoft risks security reputation ruin by retiring XP - Computerworld

which says:

The problem that Microsoft has only occasionally touched on is that Windows XP powers a massive number of personal computers around the world. According to Internet measurement company Net Applications, 29.5% of the globe's PCs ran XP in February. Using estimates of the number of Windows PCs now in operation, that "user share" translates into approximately 488 million systems.​

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they may have backed themselves into a no win situation:

Microsoft has never faced this situation before, with a soon-to-be-retired OS running a third of all the Windows PCs worldwide. So on one hand it's not surprising that it has stuck to its guns, and is pushing XP into the sunset and forgetting it.

But by doing that, it could hurt itself as much as the customers who end up with an infected XP system.​

I bet that Microsoft gives a last minute extension, and maybe a couple of others.

It's a little like implementing the tax penalties for people who don't buy health insurance. No one can seem to bring themselves to actually pull the trigger.

What possible incentive do they have to continue supporting an OS that was released over 13 years ago with three full production releases since.

Also, you rely on windows for being a secure operating system? If you want a lean OS with good security get to know my friends Fedora, Debian, or CentOS. If you want something more mainstream get I invite you to join the church of Apple.

How on Earth is this a problem for Microsoft? Windows is inherently insecure, especially when paired with Internet Explorer, the browser of choice for those that cling to old technology.

Download - CentOS Wiki

https://fedoraproject.org/

Debian -- The Universal Operating System

The world's most popular free OS | Ubuntu

The viability of using a non-windows OS is only growing. Most companies developing SaaS products now are using web versions because it's easier to keep compatible with different devices and operating systems.

What possible incentive do they have to continue supporting an OS that was released over 13 years ago with three full production releases since.

Also, you rely on windows for being a secure operating system? If you want a lean OS with good security get to know my friends Fedora, Debian, or CentOS. If you want something more mainstream get I invite you to join the church of Apple.

How on Earth is this a problem for Microsoft? Windows is inherently insecure, especially when paired with Internet Explorer, the browser of choice for those that cling to old technology.

Download - CentOS Wiki

https://fedoraproject.org/

Debian -- The Universal Operating System

The world's most popular free OS | Ubuntu

The viability of using a non-windows OS is only growing. Most companies developing SaaS products now are using web versions because it's easier to keep compatible with different devices and operating systems.

Not to mention the updates are free so Microsoft earned its money 13 years ago on the sale of the operating system they can not continue providing updates forever. Not to mention thier business is selling software so forcing the XP users to a newer software platform is in their best interest.

Now it might not be so hard to convince XP users to upgrade if Vista wasn't a complete failure. Also I am one of the people that hates Windows 8 I have to Google search or YouTube search how to do everything since it is such a complete change from previous software......Granted I only touch that computer when my wife is having an issue.

Also I am one of the people that hates Windows 8 I have to Google search or YouTube search how to do everything since it is such a complete change from previous software.

I'm a fairly computer literate individual in a lot of ways. Including networking, websites (like real website stuff, not just WordPress), and databases (ListShack.com | Unlimited Sales Leads has almost 8 billion fields of data), but I had to google how to turn off my windows 8 laptop when I got it. They're trying to be Apple, and they're not. It's an interesting interface and after over a year I'm even starting to like it, but as you say it's VERY different from anything previous and not intuitive in just about any sense of the word.

Windows 7 seemed like a huge improvement over XP. Why would someone still want to cling to XP?

I agree that Windows 8 requires an unnecessary learning curve.

Windows 7 seemed like a huge improvement over XP. Why would someone still want to cling to XP?

I agree that Windows 8 requires an unnecessary learning curve.

Some people still want rotary phones :)

Initially folks clung to xp because they already had it, XP takes less resources to run, and it was more reliable than the newer versions. At this point it had more to do with clinging to old computers, fear of the unknown, and the boogeyman.

In the law of diffusion of innovation, Robert and his kindred brothers and sisters want to be laggards.

There is corporate software out there that still requires xp. I recently read a stat that said over 50% of workplaces still use xp on more than one computer. Something like 40% do it because of system requirements.

The problem is that in the last 4 OS releases since XP, only 1 of them is decent... (7)

And if you want to know why people dont switch to apple or other OS systems usually it is because the programs they use arent compatible... especially work programs.

I could not do my job with an apple computer or anything other than windows. Not because I dont want to , but because I have to. And honestly, I could care less. The only decent apple products are ipods/iphones.

Most people who use apple os are kids and non-professionals. (or professionals playing on the web in their free time on their ipad) (the one exception would be visual/audio people)

Last edited:
There is corporate software out there that still requires xp.

And for those users, they should get Windows 7 Professional / Ultimate / Enterprise and use Windows XP Mode.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

BTW, this was interesting on that site:

After April 8, 2014, technical support for Windows XP and Windows XP Mode will no longer be available, including updates that help protect your PC. This means that if you continue to use Windows XP or use Windows XP Mode on a Windows 7 PC after support ends, your PC might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Therefore, to keep your Windows 7 PC secure after April 8, 2014, we recommend that you only use Windows XP Mode if your PC is disconnected from the Internet. Learn more about Windows XP end of support.

Depending on the application, just don't use XP on the internet.

There is corporate software out there that still requires xp. I recently read a stat that said over 50% of workplaces still use xp on more than one computer. Something like 40% do it because of system requirements.

The problem is that in the last 4 OS releases since XP, only 1 of them is decent... (7)

And if you want to know why people dont switch to apple or other OS systems usually it is because the programs they use arent compatible... especially work programs.

I could not do my job with an apple computer or anything other than windows. Not because I dont want to , but because I have to. And honestly, I could care less. The only decent apple products are ipods/iphones.

Most people who use apple os are kids and non-professionals. (or professionals playing on the web in their free time on their ipad) (the one exception would be visual/audio people)

What's funny is I actually prefer their computers over ipod/iphone/ipad. I'm a huge fan of android in the phone/tablet world, but love my MacBook Pros. I have Windows machines because of the software issues you mention.

As DHK pointed out, if you use compatability modes with windows 7 or 8 to bridge the gap to XP you should be golden. It's a touch tricky, but much better than running a 14 year old OS.

----------

There should also be some accountability on the half of these software developers to catch up with technology.

Back