BCB8 of TN Hint of %

I feel your pain mudhound.

That rate is not surprising given that the carrier in question absorbed a lot of the high-utilizers from 2014 and 2015. Unfortunately, many of my off-ex clients have nowhere else to go, they are already on the cheapest bronze plan offered and can't afford another $2500 a year for insurance with a $5k deductible. I expect them to go to short term or TRH non-compliant and take the tax penalty. Either way means a pay cut for me.
I am not even doing any marketing for U65 anymore. I get a call about once a week, I will handle them if they are interested in something still paying a
commission, otherwise I advise them to call the carriers direct, I am not taking new clients. End of an era I guess.

I have clients saying they are hearing of a 50% plus inc! YEAKS!
I personally seen a 66% rummer the other day. What in the world are folks going to do?

well, today is the day the DOI gets to approve the 50+% increase.

Not to mention it appears they will only be offering 12 plan designs this year.

Not looking good for next year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I worded it weird. Not looking good for 2017 at all.

What are you guys going to do with your off-ex folks? My clients like me, but not enough to eat $5k more a year for a 5k deductible plan. Assuming they will even pay commissions at all.

----------

......62% rate increase approved!

Tennessee approves costly health exchange price hikes for state's biggest insurers | Times Free Press

I've lost about all my off exchange clients anyways. Some have gone to the Health Ministry things to avoid the penalty but most are just eating the penalty. I WAS going to do short term plans but now that you can only have 3 months that's pointless. I'm looking at doing a group policy for our office but we know how that will probably go.

And here we go.

BlueCross Limiting ACA Participation and Ending Commissions for New Individual/Marketplace Medical Policies

As we shared earlier this summer, BlueCross has tried hard to make the Affordable Care Act (ACA) work for Tennesseans who need health coverage. But it has been challenging. We anticipate losses approaching $500 million since we began selling ACA plans - and we must protect the financial security our more than 3 million members rely on.

Beyond the cost gap, we continue to have concerns about uncertainties with the ACA at the federal level - including the possible elimination of cost-sharing programs for many consumers, the end of certain risk programs for insurers and the prospects of legislative action.

These concerns have led us to the difficult but necessary decision to limit our Individual/Marketplace offerings in 2017.

What's changing about BlueCross ACA plans for 2017

BlueCross will continue selling Individual/Marketplace plans in five of the eight ACA regions in Tennessee.

We will not offer ACA plans in the Memphis, Nashville or Knoxville regions.

We are simplifying our plan options and intend to offer four plan types - one bronze, two silver and one gold - all featuring Blue Network S, our most popular provider network.

Back