Commission Structure, Need Input

Smohara226

Hello everyone!
First I would like to introduce myself, my name is Sean O'Hara, and I'm a newer insurance broker learning much and picking it up quickly. I am formerly a Best Buy sales rep who was picked up by a gracious owner of an MGA. I am now slowly forming my professional career in this field.

So on to my question.

I am setting up a commission structure for brokers of our new health care plan. I will not be promoting the plan on this website until given permission. However I would like to know how the commissions work with ACA. What are the pros and cons for brokers? If anyone could provide a link to a forum or even a small explanation that would be awesome!

Then, if you're feeling extra helpful, how much commission would be considered a GREAT cut that would attract a potential broker?

Now I'm sure if you do a little digging you'll see a similar thread in the CA Health insurance exchange forum. Now I'm reaching out to Texas because we have workers comp brokers there who could easily do health as well. So I'm trying to get a broad input from people from the big four states.

I look forward to diving head first into the field I'm now involved and I'm excited to be part of this community! Hopefully you'll be seeing more of me around the site.

Thanks!
Sean O.

----------

Just did some searching and found this.

All the carriers are losing money on ACA plans. Discussing 2017 commissions on IFPlans is pretty much meaningless if none of them show up. Force them to pay anything over .25% and they won't participate. This will leave only Medicaid and Group.

If commissions are looking super low then perhaps higher commissions would pay out well. I'm still working on this, but if ACA commissions are perspective .25%, then I will have a lot of wiggle room.

Back