Texas Options

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
The WSJ (and others) have made a big deal out of Lisa Kelly's situation. She purchased a limited benefit plan and is now making the headlines because the hospitals want up front cash before they treat.

Here are some links.

Cash Before Chemo: Hospitals Get Tough - WSJ.com

Harold Pollack: "Cash Before Chemo" Two Arguments for Health Reform - Politics on The Huffington Post

I just don’t know what to say « After cancer, now what

The Kelly's are self employed (rental property). Is there a reason why they could not have bought a small group plan, even after diagnosis, and had full coverage?

How about the TX risk pool?

hummm,,,,

Mrs. Kelly, 52, signed up for AARP’s Medical Advantage plan, underwritten by UnitedHealth Group Inc., three years ago after she quit her job as a school-bus driver to help care for her mother. Her husband was retired after a career as a heavy-equipment operator. She says that at the time, she hardly ever went to the doctor. “I just thought I needed some kind of insurance policy because you never know what’s going to happen,” says Mrs. Kelly. She paid premiums of $185 a month.
A spokeswoman for UnitedHealth, one of the country’s largest marketers of limited-benefit plans, says the plan is “meant to be a bridge or a gap filler.” She says UnitedHealth has reimbursed Mrs. Kelly $38,478.36 for her medical costs. Because the hospital wouldn’t accept her insurance, Mrs. Kelly paid bills herself, and submitted them to her insurer to get reimbursed.

Sure, it was a foolish choice.

So, what about options?

I have quite a few folks in GA on small group plans because they are totally uninsurable otherwise. I have two with M.S., quite a few folks with multiple ills (nothing major but enough to get them declined).

Wrote a guy last week who is 6' 4", 340# and HTN.

But he has his own buiness. He put his wife on the payroll and we wrote a 2 person group with Humana.

GA does not have a risk pool but I use the small group route as often as I can.

Sure, it was a foolish choice.

So, what about options?

Set them selfs up with the rental prop. as a business with a inc. naming both as officers and do a 2 man group......or she might be eligible for the risk pool if her current plan is less in benefits than the risk pools......they really needed to talk to an agent a long time ago......

they really needed to talk to an agent a long time ago......

No argument from me.

They are already on the hook for $145k in addition to $45k they have paid out of pocket. Even though they did something stupid from the get go (buying a limited plan) they could have gone to a small group or risk pool vs. going $200k+ in the hole.

Another foolish "do-it-yourselfer" who bought from an AARP mailing.

As I've ranted extensively - the consequences can be devastating as proven here.

What are you doing to warn your potential clients of these dangers?

What are you doing to warn your potential clients of these dangers?

SELLING THEM TRUE INSURANCE....I had one that went that route a year ago.....now some things have cropped up and has been declined......so if she would have listen to me a year ago(vimo lead) then her bills would have been paid....so this time around I have her husband and kids on Humana and she is talking to UA until we can get her back on her group plan in Oct.....

Back