ACA 2014 Premiums Announced

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Monday, July 8, 2013

Story: Vermont announces rates under health insurance 'exchange' - Daily Journal

Here's an Excerpt... Notice the Positive SPIN:
"Rates being offered for the benchmark so-called "silver plan" for individuals will be a bit less than $395 per month for individuals buying a Blue Cross Blue Shield product, and $410 a month for those buying a similar policy form MVP Health Care. Those prices are similar to what an individual pays now for a similar suite of coverage options, Goddard said."

The catch/spin is that very few people buy IFP plans with "similar suites of coverage options". Why? Because they're too expensive, or the coverage options aren't needed.

For example, take Maternity. It adds over $180 a month to the premium, and it obviously is not needed by the majority of purchasers. However, under the Affordable Care Act, there is no choice. You must have, and pay for, maternity coverage as one of your federally-mandated Essential Health Benefits.
-ac

Didn't VT already have no medical underwriting? Those states shouldn't be used as a bellweather for what will be to come in other states.

I'm confused.
So, if I bought a Ferrari before the law, after this is implemented, a Ferrari with the same options will cost roughly the same.

But, wasn't I told the Ferrari would be less if we passed this?
How did passing this benefit me if I'm paying the same now?

What if I just wanted a simple Ford?

Maybe I need a Maserati????

Didn't VT already have no medical underwriting? Those states shouldn't be used as a bellweather for what will be to come in other states.

You're 100% spot-on Sam. Vermont is one of the states with no medical underwriting...

Excerpt:
"Some American states have made medical underwriting illegal as a prerequisite for health coverage, which means if you ask for health insurance and pay for it, you get it. States that have outlawed medical underwriting include New York, New Jersey, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont. These states also have the highest premiums for individual health insurance."

Source: Medical underwriting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sam, did Vermont require that all Major Medical health insurance cover EHB items, like Maternity and Prescriptions? If not, the premiums should be higher in 2014 than 2013. Otherwise, as the article states, the Vermont premiums will not be much different from this year to next.
-Allen

Back