Vermont Exchange $15 Per Person $10 in 2015

CABenefits

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Yikes!!
Vermont comp proposal: $15 per person per month | LifeHealthPro

From LifeHealthPro today:

The agency that will manage the Vermont Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) exchange program is seeking public comments on a broker compensation proposal.
The state's Vermont Health Connect exchange system is suggesting that health insurance brokers who help exchange users should be able to collect $15 per enrolled individual or small-group employee per month in 2014.
The broker compensation fee would be the same whether an individual was buying self-only coverage, coverage for both the individual and a spouse, or coverage for the individual, a spouse and children.
In 2014, the first $5 of the monthly broker fee could be paid using federal funds.
In 2015, the broker compensation fee would fall to $10 per enrollee per month.
Comments are due June 11.
Vermont is set to require insurers to sell all new individual and small-group business through Vermont Health Connect starting Jan. 1, 2014.
The state also is preparing to ban the practice of bundling producer compensation into individual and small-group commissions.
PPACA is supposed to create a body of independent ombudsmen, or salaried "navigators," to help consumers and employers use the exchange system, but the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has ruled that agents and brokers who receive compensation from health insurers cannot be exchange navigators.
In May 2012, Vermont exchange managers commissioned a survey of 50 Vermont small businesses that offer health benefits.
About 78 percent of the business owners said they would do without broker services if the cost of the services amounted to 4 percent of the premiums, and 57 percent said they would do without broker services if the cost of the services amounted to 2 percent of the premiums, exchange officials said.
But the exchange staff met with brokers and found that, if broker fees are too low, brokers will refuse to help people use the exchange, officials said.
Exchange users also would have to pay a separate benefit plan administration fee, officials said.
Vermont Health Connect is using a bidding proposal to hire an administer to provide qualified health plan (QHP) administration services for all exchange QHP users.

Lolololololololololol
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, and to add to this, it also means that's what they expect to set comp at OUTSIDE the exchanges as well. So chew on that.

Last edited:
It's 15 per person so a family of 4 would be 60 a month look at it in bulk 100 4 person families is 6000 a month plus any extras Critical illness hospital indemnity cancer plans Create solutions. This will get your foot on the door for life insurance financial planning ltc

If it was level I would be fine with it but I doubt it is & if you take away the right to cross sell, forget about it.

Everybody needs to slow down and read it again, including the presentation link in the article:

1. $15 period, per enrollee includes a whole family

The broker compensation fee would be the same whether an individual was buying self-only coverage, coverage for both the individual and a spouse, or coverage for the individual, a spouse and children.

2. The employer is paying the $10 out of their own pocket
3. The carriers are not paying, and agents can't accept both payments from carriers and exchanges.

Or, am I reading this wrong. $15 then $10 per family won't fly with me. You would need a 1000 clients in 3 months to make 100k. Not gonna happen.

THE EXCHANGES SHOULD KEEP THEIR NOSES OUT OF COMPENSATION ISSUES! Compensation is between the insurance company and the broker/agent.

They should instead focus on those $48 dollar per hour Navigators and formulate constructive things for them to do during all the downtime they'll experience while system brown-outs and crashes are resolved!
ac

What's the name of the emotion "I'm glad to have predicted it accurately, yet disappointed to be right"? I still believe almost all marketplaces will be flat fees...

I'm honestly surprised almost 4 out of 5 business owners said they would do without a broker at 4% commission. Do they realize how much they utilize broker services?

Back