Premera Requiring 5 Pieces of ID and Paper Application

Blaize

Expert
I just received an email from Premera they are no longer accepting online individual enrollments and will now require FIVE pieces of "proof of residency" for Washington State along with a mailed-in or dropped-off paper application. Does anyone know what this is about?

I think do stuff like this to slow down business. Too many insureds can be a bad thing once they hit a certain level. They've probably had so many Lifewise people transfer over already that they want to slow things down. Except they can't outwardly slow things down, they just make themselves a pain in the ass to deal with. It's a way to legally slow down enrollment.

Not like they haven't done weird stuff like this before.

Per Lifewise's alert:

"we're experiencing issues with people acting as brokers without proper credentials and training, purposefully circumventing our third party payer requirements, and enrolling individuals who don't meet state residency requirements"

LG - you were on the right path, they are trying to slow something down! This is an interesting twist and I wonder if the OIC will disclose anything?

Got the same info blaster yesterday. Seems fairly odd that they would do what there doing for an unlicensed agent submitting apps for people who don't live here. Sort punishing all of us for somebody.

Although I have to admit, the 5 pieces of ID has made several of my lifewise people get on things and do the transfer paperwork.

I thought it odd too and would think if this is happening to Premera/Lifewise then it would be happening to the other carriers as well. I am trying to imagine scenarios where someone would be using unlicensed enrollers to sign up individuals, off the Healthplanfinder and direct with the carrier, paying full price and the enrollees don't live in Washington State?? :goofy:

Don't know if you work with the exchange, but have you noticed how much they've improved since they cut their workforce in half? I have yet to be on "hold" for more than 30 seconds. First couple years the phone hold would run around 30-40 minutes. More often than not, the call timed out.

Now, they answer fairly quick and are a hell of a lot more helpful.

Premera continues to change enrollment, coming back off a little. It is now 3 instead of 5 for proof of ID. You can now send electronic apps followed by a paperone to get a jump on underwriting. I have been sending electronic copy of the paper enrollment form for people to print and fill out. Saves time from the postman. Let me know if you need a copy and I will forward. I think you can change the agent section on the document. .

I just put everyone through the Exchange and put NO for wanting Tax Credits rather than go direct. It takes me literally 15 min once we picked the Premera plan they wanted...so much easier.

I've added about 100 new clients during this OE, went well and automated the process significantly more than past years!

Back