100% disabled vets, VA, Medicare Part B & Optum Community Care

But this is not 100% true...and the point I'm trying to make.

If a vet uses the VA 100% of the time, there is not one single reason to pay for Part B.

If they go elsewhere sometimes, or maybe they travel a good bit...then yes...get Part B!

Most va vets would love the choice to go outside at times . And if I can give them $50 a month back on part b , $2000 dental,$300 glasses and the choice to see a dr outside that far outweighs $170 a month part b premium

Most va vets would love the choice to go outside at times . And if I can give them $50 a month back on part b , $2000 dental,$300 glasses and the choice to see a dr outside that far outweighs $170 a month part b premium

Let's take me for example... I get most all my care at the VA. Last year I had to go to one of the local hospitals to get surgery on my back. If and when there is a reason to go outside of the VA, the VA will cover it.

Reasons you can go outside of the VA:
  • You are told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days for an appointment.
  • Your residence is more than a 40 mile driving distance from the closest VA medical facility with a full time primary care physician.
  • You need to travel by air, boat, or ferry to the VA medical facility closet to your house.
  • You face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to the closest VA medical facility based on a geographic challenge, environmental factor, medical condition, or other specific clinical decisions. Staff at your local VA medical facility will work with you to determine if you are eligible for any of these reasons.
  • You reside in a State or a United States Territory without a full-service VA medical facility that provides hospital care, emergency services and surgical care, and reside more than 20 miles from such a VA medical facility. Note: This criterion applies to Veterans residing in Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Guam, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Also note that some Veterans in New Hampshire reside within 20 miles of White River Junction VAMC and are therefore not eligible for the Veterans Choice Program.
Also, if the VA doesn't have the wherewithal to perform a needed procedure, you can and will have to go outside of the VA.

So yes, the Veteran does have choices to go outside. Especially using the 30 day deal (from my observation).

If I were on Medicare, getting Part B would still make no sense for me.

Community Care Home

Thanks Todd.
That is a very nice experienced based counter point to some of the other comments.

Let's take me for example... I get most all my care at the VA. Last year I had to go to one of the local hospitals to get surgery on my back. If and when there is a reason to go outside of the VA, the VA will cover it.

Reasons you can go outside of the VA:
  • You are told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days for an appointment.
  • Your residence is more than a 40 mile driving distance from the closest VA medical facility with a full time primary care physician.
  • You need to travel by air, boat, or ferry to the VA medical facility closet to your house.
  • You face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to the closest VA medical facility based on a geographic challenge, environmental factor, medical condition, or other specific clinical decisions. Staff at your local VA medical facility will work with you to determine if you are eligible for any of these reasons.
  • You reside in a State or a United States Territory without a full-service VA medical facility that provides hospital care, emergency services and surgical care, and reside more than 20 miles from such a VA medical facility. Note: This criterion applies to Veterans residing in Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Guam, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Also note that some Veterans in New Hampshire reside within 20 miles of White River Junction VAMC and are therefore not eligible for the Veterans Choice Program.
Also, if the VA doesn't have the wherewithal to perform a needed procedure, you can and will have to go outside of the VA.

So yes, the Veteran does have choices to go outside. Especially using the 30 day deal (from my observation).

If I were on Medicare, getting Part B would still make no sense for me.

Community Care Home

Todd I write 8-10 100% va vets a month with Humana honor . I’d say 1/2 bitch to the moon how va sucks . Takes 3 months to see some drs . Again ive also heard were some people like it . It depends which va you use .

Todd I write 8-10 100% va vets a month with Humana honor . I’d say 1/2 bitch to the moon how va sucks . Takes 3 months to see some drs . Again ive also heard were some people like it . It depends which va you use .

I do think you are correct on location as to how fast they will see you. Once again though, see the 30 day rule above.

On the disability side of the VA, there are no copays, except for Meds. If a Vet has Humana honor and uses it outside of the VA, there will usually be copays unless it's primary care appointment, correct?

By the way, I think the Humana Honor plan would work great for some....just not all. That's really all I'm saying. Everybody wants to put a Vet on some type of MA Plan and it just not always plug and play. Sometimes you should walk away (after you sell them some life insurance!).

Back