15 Day Advance Termination Limitations

I've had a few clients recently get group coverage effective June 1st.

But of course, due to the moronic system at HC.gov, you can't terminate a policy within the next 15 days. Because as we know, everybody fits in the same box and "life" always follows a strict pattern.

Problem being is if I terminate a policy today, earliest term date is June 11th, but the client is on a new group plan eff 6/1 and won't be paying those 11 days of premium.

Will HC.gov send the APTC to the carrier for those 11 days?
Will it show up on the 1095A at end of the year?
Will the carrier send it back with non payment of premium?

I have had two people call early in a month to terminate the first of the next month and the power's to be terminated them the day they called.

Does anybody know why they implemented this 15 day rule?

I'm just wondering what function this serves, is it to ensure providers claims get paid or is it a system glitch or is it to allow the carriers more time to get the file from hc.gov.......I'm drawing a blank.

One other thing on this. I've wrote a whole lot of deals in every way possible and in not one of them have I read OR had read to me a disclaimer telling the client that they MUST give the Marketplace 15 days notice to cancel. So I'm not sure how legal any collection efforts would be.

Last edited:
There is no rhyme, reason, or rule that I've read of for the 15 day advance rule.

Here's another one for you, on stupidity of the system.

If you have a couple, age 64 and 63, and one is going on to medicare, like my client is on June 1st, you MUST do the application on the last day of May (no 15 day advance required). IF not done on the last day, The medicare eligible client is removed from the plan on the same day you do the CIC. Do it too early, and you run the risk of being sued. Lucky me, I have an appt on Sunday to do just this type of change.

I haven't run into a "15 day rule" issue for my Medicare clients. The disenrollments I've executed for my newly eligible Medicare clients allowed me to select the day their plan needed to term out.

I haven't run into a "15 day rule" issue for my Medicare clients. The disenrollments I've executed for my newly eligible Medicare clients allowed me to select the day their plan needed to term out.

I have not run into that either healther. However, I haven't had any on-exchange yet where it was a married couple and one was going into medicare while one was staying on-exchange. Maybe that is the difference?

Back