200 Members by 12/15

The ACA payouts are higher this year, unfortunately in Texas most carriers will only pay for enrollment during the AEP. Any enrollments during an SEP (Anything outside AEP) will not be paid any commission. I told our agents to think of SEP enrollments as inventory for the following year and cross sell life and ancillary.

The ACA payouts are higher this year, unfortunately in Texas most carriers will only pay for enrollment during the AEP. Any enrollments during an SEP (Anything outside AEP) will not be paid any commission. I told our agents to think of SEP enrollments as inventory for the following year and cross sell life and ancillary.

All carriers?

What you getting paid in TX? You have Molina?

ACA is difficult because it is so heavily state specific. Rules carriers have in place can protect the existing AOR.

- How many carriers are in your state?
In my state there is only one in 90% of the counties. So here the AOR is difficult to get (see below), so you likely end up doing a bunch of "pro bono" work for another agent...no thanks.

- Are those carriers paying comp and if so what?
Obvious as to why that's important.

- How is AOR handled?
In my state, the only way to get AOR is either to write it new or help someone switch plans. Problem with switching plans is that most members are already on a plan this is best for the them (lowest cost silver plan with high subsidy/CSR). So any movement of plans actually puts the client in a worse plan, so that's something I am not touching. I have had some other agents try to poach business doing that, thankfully client called me to confirm. "Yes Mr prospect, this $0 bronze plan ($7,000 deductible) is better than your $20/month Silver with tons of CSR" All just to get an AOR....it makes me sick.

-Do you have good understanding of the ACA rules?
Families are great to target, but if they have access to group insurance thru an employer or spouse's employer, 99% of the time it's deemed "affordable" under the law. If you aren't getting subsidies, it's difficult to write much.

Good luck if you are getting into it. You just need to understand what can/cannot be done and above all do what's right for the client, even if it's walking away.

You can’t sell Florida blue in Florida. Unless you only want to sell Florida blue and nothing else.

Seems in FL that Blue or Ambetter have good plans . . . Pick one and go.

I'm thinking of adding Duval County in 2019.

AOR - my understanding is whichever is the last Agent to submit the new application for that coverage year is the AOR . . . That is what Ambetter told me. Kind of like how MA / MAPD works.

ACA is difficult because it is so heavily state specific. Rules carriers have in place can protect the existing AOR.

- How is AOR handled?
In my state, the only way to get AOR is either to write it new or help someone switch plans. Problem with switching plans is that most members are already on a plan this is best for the them (lowest cost silver plan with high subsidy/CSR). So any movement of plans actually puts the client in a worse plan, so that's something I am not touching. I have had some other agents try to poach business doing that, thankfully client called me to confirm. "Yes Mr prospect, this $0 bronze plan ($7,000 deductible) is better than your $20/month Silver with tons of CSR" All just to get an AOR....it makes me sick.

As long as that is the way it works for your carrier(s).

In my state that is not how it works. If carrier has client as a member, you have to move the client to a new plan to be AOR. If the new app is on the same plan client is currently on, there is no AOR. It's a little different here.

Seems in FL that Blue or Ambetter have good plans . . . Pick one and go.

I'm thinking of adding Duval County in 2019.

Doesn’t work like that if you plan on selling MAPD. The contract states that if you want to sell us you can only sell us for health and Medicare.
Good luck on getting terminated for just cause.

I just moved back to orlando from duval county. Do you live there?

As long as that is the way it works for your carrier(s).

In my state that is not how it works. If carrier has client as a member, you have to move the client to a new plan to be AOR. If the new app is on the same plan client is currently on, there is no AOR. It's a little different here.

right - have to have a new plan. I'm not really seeking to be AOR of a current client that has a plan already. If there isn't a better plan - I'll leave em alone . . .

Back