2015 Health Insurance Renewals Blowing Up Before the Election

Near the end of 2013 there were so many cancellations that a website was started for people to post their cancellation notices.

From what I'm reading on the forum, it seems like there are far more this year. Or is that my imagination?
ac

Yes, I think there are more this year.

Last year we had this:
1. Many pre-ACA plans were termed in the IFP market, and a little bit in the small group market. Then many of them were offered an extension.
2. Some Grandfathered plans were termed

This year it's this:
1. Many Grandfathered plans are being termed
2. Many Grandmothered plans from last year's extension are being termed.
3. Almost all Small Group plans are being termed.
4. Many 2014 ACA-compliant plans are being "mapped" to another plan, or termed.
5. Many 2014 ACA-compliant plans are renewing at such high prices it feels like a termination.
6. Many 2014 ACA-compliant subsidized plans are being told to submit their income verification or immigration documents or they will be termed.
7. Many 2014 ACA-compliant subsidized plans are being told to visit hc.gov to update their subsidy applications (which to the client feels like a termination).

The other problem is the wording of the letters being required by the gov't. Even if one little thing is changed on the ACA plan, it is considered to be a new plan. But the letters first state verbatim:

Top: "We will not offer your health coverage next year"

Then: "You must choose a new plan to have health coverage next year"

Then: "you'll be auto enrolled in the XYZ plan unless you choose another plan by 12/15/14"

This was for an OFF exchange Aetna plan.

The ON exchange Aetna plans were required to send out letters stating the paln is being terminated, and have yet to receive word of any conversion to a NEW ACA plan ON the exchange.

Near the end of 2013 there were so many cancellations that a website was started for people to post their cancellation notices.

From what I'm reading on the forum, it seems like there are far more this year. Or is that my imagination?
ac

Do you know where that site is? I recall the thread where it was mentioned but can't find it.

There are more cancellations this year, depending on the state. Some states last year said all plans could be cancelled while others granted a reprieve.

GA was one of those that declared a moratorium on cancellations until this year.

I don't know how many of my clients will follow through and simply not have any health insurance, but I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty.

This time around my ox is the one being gored.

Somarco,

Wrong website, no "s" at the end of "cancellation", Allen posted the accurate link.

Here's their whois: MyCancellation.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools There's nothing interesting there except that there's another 2 years on the registration.

Facebook page is still going strong: https://www.facebook.com/mycancellation, as is the twitter: https://twitter.com/MyCancellation , both have a few updates today.

Looks like Tumblr took down their page, and the domain they registered now points to a downed site. No mention of the site going down anywhere.

Doesn't look like the effort ever gained much traction. My pictures of cheeseburgers get more likes, and I don't exactly have a lot of facebook friends.

Back