2018 Business Plan

I was in the same boat about 10-13 years ago. My main focus back then was yard signs that I learned to use from a good old insurance company called Mega Life and health lol. You must focus on one or two products alone as these guys have said, particularly products that pay renawals. I did the same thing as you, I thought, if I could sell 2 LTC policies, 10 health insurance policies, some dental and some life and maybe a few small group health plans I'd be all good lol. It wasn't until I put blinders on and focused on one did I start to excel. To this day, if my office gets calls for lines we don't offer, I refer it out because we only focus on Medicare products, period. At that time it was health, before Obamacare when you could make real money. Once Obamacare went into effect I got out of the under65 business, almost entirely and went to Medicare and wish I did 15 years ago. Everything you've tried or are currently doing can work, just with limited results, you need a sustainable long term marketing plan that works. The best thing I ever did was figure out online marketing and how it works, there is no better, more powerful way to generate your own leads, NOTHING. Some people get it some don't, best way to get an understanding is to read this book: Amazon product ASIN 1599184419
It takes hard work and time, and you will have to have some money to do it, but once you understand how to find long tail low cost per click keywords, it can really take off, not to mention the whole other aspect which is organic search marketing, which is a whole different ball of wax. I no longer produce, I have 4 agents, all I do is live and breath marketing to keep the guys pipeline filled.

Think about this way, your online looking for answers, that's where millions of people go to find answers to there problems just like you are on this forum, so then it's up to us to get our face in front of all those people and be the expert agent that wins over there business. (Sorry for typos, on mobile phone)

Last edited:
It looks like you have about 500 clients, but only about 150 generate commissions.

Use the suggestions above to reach all 500 over the first ten months of the year. This will leave you free for AEP. That's 50 a month or two per day of you work 6 days a week. Two calls, two HW notes (with a business card and a business card sized magnet in each envelope), two birthday cards.

Make that the first thing you do every day. You'll mostly leave voice mails, but that's OK. That's enough to stay "top of mind" if you send out the cards too. ("Hi this is ___. I'm just calling to see if you have any questions about the _____ policy I helped you with last year. Call me at _______ if you have any questions or would like my help again.")

That will probably take you about 30 minutes on average even if you get a chatty person on the phone from time to time.

It will cost you the 30 minutes, two postage stamps and a little stationery. Do that consistently and add a soft sell or door knob close to the mix.

You got to 500 in just four years. 1,000 current clients is a good number for a veteran of 20 years IMO.

On the FP referrals...

This is where the majority of my business comes from. I give seminars for them, I meet with their client, etc. If you start selling Fixed Annuities, you are going to lose those referrals, IMO.

Also, I work with a ton of EJ reps, but you need to remember that their model is Investment Advice more than total planning. You need to find FP's that do total planning, Ameriprise and Raymond James reps would be a good start.

Networking isn't about finding clients. Its about finding circles of influence. Its about finding people who KNOW seniors.

Back