$301b Awarded by Texax Jury

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
"A Texas jury has awarded a largely symbolic settlement of more than $301 billion in a lawsuit against a Corpus Christi bar brought by the family of a woman and her 16-year-old granddaughter who were killed in a car crash with a drunken driver."

That is billion, as in 301,000,000,000 - [at least I think.]

The suit against Beer Belly’s Sports Bar stems from a 2017 crash that killed 59-year-old Tamra Kindred, Aujuni Anderson, and the other driver, Joshua Delbosque. Kindred’s daughters alleged in their suit that the bar served Delbosque a “dangerous amount of alcohol” and that the 29-year-old Delbosque later ran a red light at 91 mph, causing the crash.

A Nueces County jury awarded the eye-popping figure to Jennifer Kindred and Elizabeth Anderson on Tuesday, but their lawyer said the women don’t expert to receive payment from the now-closed bar. Beer Belly’s and its owner were ordered to pay them $1.04 billion in “actual damages” and another $300 billion in “exemplary damages,” court records show

Attorney John Flood said “the jury sent a very loud message that if alcohol providers trade money for the safety of their patrons and the public, there must be accountability.”

A lawyer for Beer Belly’s and its owner, Jovani Castillo, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The bar closed in 2019, according to The Houston Chronicle.

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source.

"A Texas jury has awarded a largely symbolic settlement of more than $301 billion in a lawsuit against a Corpus Christi bar brought by the family of a woman and her 16-year-old granddaughter who were killed in a car crash with a drunken driver."

That is billion, as in 301,000,000,000 - [at least I think.]

The suit against Beer Belly’s Sports Bar stems from a 2017 crash that killed 59-year-old Tamra Kindred, Aujuni Anderson, and the other driver, Joshua Delbosque. Kindred’s daughters alleged in their suit that the bar served Delbosque a “dangerous amount of alcohol” and that the 29-year-old Delbosque later ran a red light at 91 mph, causing the crash.

A Nueces County jury awarded the eye-popping figure to Jennifer Kindred and Elizabeth Anderson on Tuesday, but their lawyer said the women don’t expert to receive payment from the now-closed bar. Beer Belly’s and its owner were ordered to pay them $1.04 billion in “actual damages” and another $300 billion in “exemplary damages,” court records show

Attorney John Flood said “the jury sent a very loud message that if alcohol providers trade money for the safety of their patrons and the public, there must be accountability.”

A lawyer for Beer Belly’s and its owner, Jovani Castillo, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The bar closed in 2019, according to The Houston Chronicle.

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source.
Beer Belly’s is a cool name for a bar. :yes:

They'll never see it. The liability carriers are likely to appeal the award to keep it in litigation for a few more years, giving the plaintiffs the incentive to settle for policy limits and avoid the time and the cost.

Ive always wondered when this type of thing would start happening. As a former bartender, I drove people home a few times.... partly because it was the right thing to do, but also because I could be legally liable for them killing themselves or someone else.

But go to any bar at 12am and you will see plenty of people who are DRUNK and still being served, and the bartender does it without question. Now Ive seen bartenders ask about a persons driving status and how they are getting home. But in my experience, that is not the norm. And its a fine line you have to walk as a bartender or server, I had situations in fine dining where a single old drunk... and what they decide to tip me... would make up half of my earnings for the night... so the last thing you want to do is piss him off. An experienced bartender can handle it diplomatically, but not all can, and not all customers will let you.

More than a few situations like that have occurred around my town. I know of one that settled out of court. But another fought it and won, the person came in already drunk, had 1 beer, and then drove off and killed someone. There was no way for the bar to know how drunk he was when entering, so they denied liability and took it to court and won.

Ive always wondered when this type of thing would start happening. As a former bartender, I drove people home a few times.... partly because it was the right thing to do, but also because I could be legally liable for them killing themselves or someone else.

But go to any bar at 12am and you will see plenty of people who are DRUNK and still being served, and the bartender does it without question. Now Ive seen bartenders ask about a persons driving status and how they are getting home. But in my experience, that is not the norm. And its a fine line you have to walk as a bartender or server, I had situations in fine dining where a single old drunk... and what they decide to tip me... would make up half of my earnings for the night... so the last thing you want to do is piss him off. An experienced bartender can handle it diplomatically, but not all can, and not all customers will let you.

More than a few situations like that have occurred around my town. I know of one that settled out of court. But another fought it and won, the person came in already drunk, had 1 beer, and then drove off and killed someone. There was no way for the bar to know how drunk he was when entering, so they denied liability and took it to court and won.

Makes it quite a scary business to be in.. especially when the responsibility gets passed onto the bar and bartender. You would think 21+ year old adults should be responsible for themselves, but alas here is the world we live in.

Back