40 Yr Old Looking to Get P and L License

nocgirl

I am looking to change careers or at least sell insurance part time. I am in IT sales for over 12 years I just need a change. I am comm only and do ok..considering I really only work part time but I manage to do 50-60k a year. my acct book just does not support 40+ hrs a week. I do lose accts and its really hard to find new ones because my employer is small. I have 2 kids and I also work at home. I get no benefits but my kids are insured thru my ex and his employer. I am in AZ.

where do you recommend I take courses for P and C License? Also who can I work for where I will make a decent amount of money? I am not really looking to leave my job for a few months but figured I could take the course in the meantime. Stupid question but what is the difference between working for an insurance company or a broker? A broker sells various companies? Is there a way to work for a company and make somewhat decent like AAA or Liberly Mutual, or just apply with a local broker? What companies should I avoid at all costs?

I was thinking of maybe eventually going to work for a captive agent, and in my previous post i meant P and C license, not P and L.

Thank you.

Last edited:
$50-$60K working part time is pretty good. Realistically, more than likely it will take you at least 2 years or more of 50+ hour weeks to reach that income level. Just about any course that meets the state requirement can prepare you for the exam.

Last edited:
Well i think my 60k is over...I lose accts and honesly its hard for me to find new ones. a competitor just swiped a big one from me. I think going captive is the way to start out but I need to make sure I am going to make decent money. Liberty Mutual and american family both have job ads up for inside reps at their call center. Am fam pays a 32k base but comm is not much a few hundred a month...Liberty Mutual looks to pay a bit more..I think their base is 36 or 38 plus comm and a ton if benefits. Seems like a lot of training but they would provide it all plus my licensing. I dont know. Just thinking here.

You have to examine whether working in a Call Center is something you can do. Not many can to be honest. You'll be sitting in one spot all day taking calls rapid fire.
On the plus side, you can use it to gain experience and all your licensing, not to mention the benefits that you currently do not enjoy.

Well i think my 60k is over...I lose accts and honesly its hard for me to find new ones. a competitor just swiped a big one from me. I think going captive is the way to start out but I need to make sure I am going to make decent money. Liberty Mutual and american family both have job ads up for inside reps at their call center. Am fam pays a 32k base but comm is not much a few hundred a month...Liberty Mutual looks to pay a bit more..I think their base is 36 or 38 plus comm and a ton if benefits. Seems like a lot of training but they would provide it all plus my licensing. I dont know. Just thinking here.

Liberty mutual is a good choice but you would have to be willing to make a complete career change and do it full time. Base is 45-50K while training then 25K plus comm and bonus when you start selling.

I worked for a brick and mortal call center for years....doing the same thing I do now but my current employer allows me to telecommute which is nice.

I know this is a big career change. I am kind of burned out on what I am doing but once I leave my accounts are going to be turned over to someone else so it needs to be a sure thing. Also it would really sucks if by some chance I get hired by someone like Liberty and for some reason cannot pass their training.

USAA is opening a huge call center by me. I think they are eventualy hiring all positions. Not sure what the pay is though. I will eventualy quit my job if I can make a 50k salary with benefits. Feedback on them though is not good unless its just disgruntled employees.

You won't start at USAA making 50K in the call center.

It's a great company with excellent benefits and they pay a nice annual bonus every year. Depending on your background, you'll make around 40-42K to start which includes your annual bonus which varies depending on many Company factors.

Last edited:
Ok thank u. I am thinking about applying with LM in a few months. I do love USAA though I have my renters and car insurance thru them.

I would never give up my USAA stuff. No company takes care of our military like they do.
I formerly worked there too and would recommend it if you can handle the call center environment.

Nyc2phi can u pm me it phone number so we can text? Is that ok? I think u r in AZ correct?

Back