99% of Health Insurance Claim Denials Never Appealed

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
less than two-tenths of 1% of patients in Obamacare plans bothered to appeal claims denied in 2021.

The central problem: There are many kinds of insurance in the U.S., and they have different processes for appealing a denial.

Government insurance is its own tangle. I am a Medicare beneficiary with a supplemental plan and a Part D plan for drug coverage. The appeals process for drug denials is different from the one for the rest of my healthcare. And that's different from the process that people with Medicare Advantage plans have to follow.

12.5 million people covered by both Medicare and Medicaid. As far as which appeals path you have to take, Abbi Coursolle, a senior attorney with the National Health Law Program, explains: "It's Medicare for some things and Medicaid for others."

people who are sick just cannot deal with insurance companies

McAneny told me she spends $350,000 a year on a designated team of denial fighters whose sole job is to request prior authorization for cancer care -- an average 67 requests per day -- and then appeal the denials.

For starters, she said bluntly, "we know everything is going to get denied." It's almost a given, she said, that the insurer will lose the first batch of records. "We often have to send records two or three times before they finally admit they actually received them. ..

Medicare Advantage and Part D programs have multiple levels of appeals before winding up in court, including a step that requires a review by an outside, independent organization.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/features/106199

Back