ACA ?? Young man just turned 19 year old, still in high school . . .

myinsurebiz

I am what I am . . .
5000 Post Club
Young man just turned 19 year old, still in high school, Medicaid ending, lives with one of his Teachers, he has $0 income and no relatives. Any suggestions on ACA?

Thanks - Tom

State would be nice to know typically.
If $0 income, then why getting booted off Medicaid, just reapply.
Otherwise, full price ACA or STM plan is only option

State would be nice to know typically.
If $0 income, then why getting booted off Medicaid, just reapply.
Otherwise, full price ACA or STM plan is only option

Sorry - Georgia.

He turned 19 and Georgia is denying him coverage. Not sure why.

Young man just turned 19 year old, still in high school, Medicaid ending, lives with one of his Teachers, he has $0 income and no relatives. Any suggestions on ACA?

Thanks - Tom

have the Teacher claim him as a dependent....use her income and getting kicked off Medicaid as a SEP and sign up for a ACA plan.......

GA did not expand medicaid. Prob got kicked off due to age 19. He is stuck with options I listed above. Can't use teachers income unless claiming him on taxes.

Can't use teachers income unless claiming him on taxes.

thats what I said.....if he lives with her and she is supporting him then he is a dependent.....not sure of the medicaid rules but might also be a option....

In Illinois, AllKids ends at age 19, and then transitions into Medicaid (for adults). I ran into a similar scenario recently; grandchild lives with grandma (not a tax dependent) received a letter that AllKids was ending... Turns out AllKids was ending due to aging-out, but Medicaid still continued.

If the young man has a denial letter from Medicaid, you can call the marketplace call center and request an exception to enroll in a fully subsidized plan.

Back