ACO's Are Coming to Town

20% seem to be a very big savings.

The best I have heard is 15% and I think that was as stretch.
Coventry is working on an ACO model in my city. I have met with them a couple of times.

The ACO model can be sold to clients. In fact, I think it's an easy sales pitch depending on network. My concern is providers will ration care in the ACO model. If they are getting higher reimbursement from other patients this could cause problems.

In IL BCBS has a smaller PPO network option that can offer 10-15% savings that has not been very popular with my clients and it is only about 25% smaller than their regular PPO. Similarly, I have had clients turn down savings to move from BCBS to another carrier because their PPO network was not quite as large as the Blues. Can't imagine a 75% smaller network would fly in the Chicago area.

Last edited:
I thought the Blues of Ill. stop paying a commission?

QUOTE=LOM58;582295]In IL BCBS has a smaller PPO network option that can offer 10-15% savings that has not been very popular with my clients and it is only about 25% smaller than their regular PPO. Similarly, I have had clients turn down savings to move from BCBS to another carrier because their PPO network was not quite as large as the Blues. Can't imagine a 75% smaller network would fly in the Chicago area.[/QUOTE]

In the Chicagoland area the network isn't that much smaller & I sell a lot of it but when you go out to the father counties when I wouldn't sell it.

Back