Advice about auto insurance after changing states?

Toller

My car is registered and insured where I used to live in rural NJ. I have moved to Manhattan. It is likely temporary, as I might leave this summer. (or I might not...) I keep my car at my cousin's house in Scarsdale.

I would like to leave things alone, but suspect that is not acceptable. If I have to change everything to NY, can I use my cousin's address in Scarsdale where the car is?

Thanks.

What state is the vehicle registered in and what about your drivers license? Most states give you 30-90 days to register a vehicle. Usually some law enforcement with nothing better to do sees an out of state tag regularly parked and takes note, writes a ticket on a slow night. Best to register the car at the address where it is garaged so that a claim isn't denied for rate evasion

I would like to leave things alone, but suspect that is not acceptable. If I have to change everything to NY, can I use my cousin's address in Scarsdale where the car is?

If you conceal the truth about where you live and drive, you risk having your claims denied and your policy rescinded. If you think insurance rates are high in NY now, they will skyrocket when you buy new insurance after a rescission.

I suggest you call your agent or company and lay out exactly what your situation is and see if your existing policy can be endorsed for the changes. If not, and you have to get new insurance in NY, so be it.

Back