Allstate get the Downgrade - for Personal Auto Underwriting

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
"Citing declines in statutory capital and poor underwriting results in personal auto, Fitch Ratings has downgraded the insurer financial strength ratings of Allstate P/C insurance subsidiaries to “A” (Strong) from “A+.”"

WoW- I wonder how many more of these there are out there? First of many? Or a one time thing?

"Fitch noted a sharp deterioration in Allstate’s underwriting results in recent periods, with a property/liability calendar-year combined ratio of 106.6 in 2022, compared to a prior five-year average of 92.3. The decrease was primarily related to an auto combined ratio of 110.1. Allstate’s underwriting results continued to be challenged in first-quarter 2023 with a combined ratio of 108.6, leading to a GAAP net loss of $346 million."

Article here: Fitch Downgrades Allstate

"Citing declines in statutory capital and poor underwriting results in personal auto, Fitch Ratings has downgraded the insurer financial strength ratings of Allstate P/C insurance subsidiaries to “A” (Strong) from “A+.”"

WoW- I wonder how many more of these there are out there? First of many? Or a one time thing?

"Fitch noted a sharp deterioration in Allstate’s underwriting results in recent periods, with a property/liability calendar-year combined ratio of 106.6 in 2022, compared to a prior five-year average of 92.3. The decrease was primarily related to an auto combined ratio of 110.1. Allstate’s underwriting results continued to be challenged in first-quarter 2023 with a combined ratio of 108.6, leading to a GAAP net loss of $346 million."

Article here: Fitch Downgrades Allstate

As a life/health/annuity agent, it surprises me that Allstate and StateFarm have such low home/auto rates, yet such high ratings.

I recently shopped P&C insurance and switched to SF. It was even lower than Allstate... who was even lower than Progressive/Geico/Farmers/Travelers/Nationwide/etc.

Years ago, it was the opposite. SF had the highest rates when I shopped carriers. Now that could be my personal UW situation. But I dont think Im in that much of a different situation now as I was then, just older and a bit more established. I actually had a better credit score back then than when I recently applied.

So, it seems to me, that SF & Allstate might just be "buying business" for the sake of revenue coming through the door. That is a life agents pov on it, not sure how much water it holds in P&C land. But really well rated carriers having the lowest rates in the life world lead to situations like Ohio National demutualizing and pulling the rug on policy holders.

thoughts?

Back