Am I Doing Well? Commercial P&C Producer

J

Jason Henderson

Hello all,

I am starting my third year as a producer in Utah at a independent agency. We chase small-mid size commercial accounts and tend to stay away from really large revenue accounts the big boys chase. I think I am doing pretty well but I have nothing or nobody to compare it to so I will give you the run down of my career thus far-

I started out with zero sales or insurance experience, I didn’t even know what the General Liability was when I started, I was reallly green. I did not make any sales in the first 6 months as I was learning what the heck I was selling and wanted to be proficient in my craft. I was on salary for year one and a smaller salary+commission year 2 and straight commission year 3. 50/35 split on revenue as the agency provides all back end support for my book of business, markets and benefits.

I work in a very insurance friendly state, Utah, and the premiums are very low compared to say California, Florida or New York. After two years my book of business is around $1.1M premium and $160k in revenue. Would you rate my success so far as poor, average, or above average?

Cheers!

I'm commercial p&c too. I'd say that's very good, definitely above average, but your split is a bit low. To be fair, if you're getting lots of leads and support, that's not a bad split. I'm getting 50/50 with profit sharing, but I get 0 leads. That's fine though, because I have developed a lethal referral and networking system with a higher close rate than any lead.

Thanks for the feedback, it’s definitely a tough industry but I’ve been fortunate to land some nice accounts early in my career. I feel like I’ve done pretty well but like I said I don’t know anyone who does commercial so it’s hard to compare. My agency mentors and give me some leads, which is why I feel the split is fair.

If you could offer some advice that you would tell yourself when you started out, what would it be? Speaking strictly commercial accounts as I feel it’s vastly different mind set/sales approach from personal lines.

So, for 2019 your income was about $56,000 plus whatever your smaller second year salary was. I'd say that was excellent for somebody who started two years ago with no knowledge and no experience.

Thanks for the feedback, it’s definitely a tough industry but I’ve been fortunate to land some nice accounts early in my career. I feel like I’ve done pretty well but like I said I don’t know anyone who does commercial so it’s hard to compare. My agency mentors and give me some leads, which is why I feel the split is fair.

If you could offer some advice that you would tell yourself when you started out, what would it be? Speaking strictly commercial accounts as I feel it’s vastly different mind set/sales approach from personal lines.

What would I tell myself when I started out?

Find myself an agency that offers leads, mentoring and a fair split. Then, somehow, if I manage to figure out how to sell and by some miracle hit $1,000,000 within my first couple of years selling, then don't change anything I am doing.

Hey Jason,
Thanks for the post. I have some of the exact same questions as you. I am a new producer with no insurance experience. I work for an IA and I just finished my 10th month. I have written $450,000 in total premium. I have 50/25 split. What are your annual sales goal?

Hey Jason,
Thanks for the post. I have some of the exact same questions as you. I am a new producer with no insurance experience. I work for an IA and I just finished my 10th month. I have written $450,000 in total premium. I have 50/25 split. What are your annual sales goal?

What state are you producing in? That is a heck of a start, way more than I did in my first 10 months. My goals are based on new revenue and not necessarily premium, my goal is to get $110k of new business revenue in 2020. I like to set my goals on the higher side, I don’t see the point of setting a goal that you know you will get to. I can get to $110k of new revenue but I will have to grind, our premiums just aren’t that high in Utah compared to coastal states.

@Jason Henderson - $1.1M after 2 years isn't bad at all, keep up the good work. Here are some general stats for you, 9/10 insurance producers fail within 2 years. Most average about 300k in premium/year. I've been doing this for 12 years now, have my own book that generates $1.4M in revenue. My suggestion is to find a niche, develop the niche and be the best. I'm also in Utah, you may be interested in what we're doing here. Let me know if you want to chat.

Back