Anthem

I think in CO, they give you 2 years to get 10 account on the books when you are first appointed. After that, you are expected to maintain at least 10 in-force policies (total, not per year). They are not a major player here, outside of the group market. The easiest way to get your 10 is to have a person sign a "Agent of Record Change". I just signed a family with Aetna but the mother has out of control HBP - would be a decline with anyone else but since she already has Anthem, she signed a request to have me as the AOR. Has not seen or heard from the original agent in years.

If Anthem cuts agents/brokers loose, do they still have to pay residuals? This could be the reason they have adopted the policy. The savings could give them a windfall of millions.

Anthem GA will not allow AOR changes unless you have written 30 apps in the prior year. That is a relaxed standard, used to be 100 and 300 on the books.

They are not a major force here in the individual market. Haven't been for almost 2 yrs now.

Renewals are 40%+ first year and run close to 30% in later years.

Supposedly they are still obligated to pay renewals but I am not holding my breath.

Between Coventry, Kaiser, World, IAC, and Assurant, who needs them?

Independent Contractors cost them nothing.

As far as continuing to pay commissions, that they will do. Several agents that are no longer with them are still receiving commissions in a timely manner by them.

Wow. Anthem CT and NH work nothing like Anthem GA. They're actually all a part of the same subset of Wellpoint carriers in the east along with VA.

Surprised at the differences. They're indispensable here.

I write about half of my individual health business with Anthem.

They have a lot going for them in Connecticut from a consumer standpoint. However, the compensation leaves a lot to be desired unless you can sell at least 75 of their policies a year. My goal is to hit 100 each year. At 100 you maximize the bonus per policy. Of course that is not easy to do unless individual health is your focus.

I don't have any problem with them so far, but who knows what the future holds.

Back