Any Advice for Cold Calling P & C

First step, get a good list ;)

Are you looking to call for personal lines or commercial?

There are many different styles of cold calling, but generally if you're calling on a commodity product (like auto, homeowners, health, med supps, etc) you're going to simply work the numbers. "Hi, would you like to (save money, get better coverage, etc)?" and if they say no, on to the next. Some things to keep in mind:

-Some people really are waiting for you to call them so they can buy insurance from you.
-Most people won't be glad you called them.
-If you don't waste your time on the second group, you can find the first group more quickly.

You can also checkout the cold-calling 101 section of my site: Affordable Marketing Lists - Cold Calling 101 .

We have serveral free webinar & teleconference recordings that we have done with insurance agents and other professionals on what to say on calls.

We have a new recording we did recently with someone who built their business on cold calling you can check out as well.

You can request the recordings you want by going to the following link:

Aged Insurance Leads Info Request Form

Remember it takes an avg. of 4 dials to reach a decision maker for commercial p/c. Don't ask for an appointment tell them the day's you have available and make them choose. Secretary's can be your best friend. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice. Planning on starting cold calling after the holidays. Any advice on where to get good lists? Has anyone used salesgenie?

Thank you for the advice. Planning on starting cold calling after the holidays. Any advice on where to get good lists? Has anyone used salesgenie?

I'm fairly biased in thinking that my lists are good and many members of the forum would agree with me.

SalesGenie is a flavor of InfoUSA. They can be a bit expensive and most folks that have used them come back and tell me that the quality on the data leaves something to be desired. They're not necessarily a bad choice, but that's the feedback I've heard from folks. Axicom commissioned a third-party to do a study on the integrity of the data from four different sources and InfoUSA came up at the bottom. I'm not sure how much credibility you can give a study like that, but it was interesting.

You should also keep track of the data- Know how the decision is made When the renewals are Who they are with the type of relationship they have with the incumbent (no reason to follow up with someone that will waste your time)

Most importantly - try to to find some pain at the very least some way to wedge your self in

Good luck

We use Dunn & Bradstreet for our list- over 20yrs+

Smile and Dial!

Charlie Tan
Becon Marketing.net

Back