Any experience with HealthMarkets?

Jmos

Expert
The latest threads are 2 years old, and lacking so I'm just asking if anyone has any experience working for them?
Why is it a good idea or bad idea to work for them as a new agent?
Any help or direction is appreciated.

Unless they have changed the manner in which they assign leads (managers get first pick) I would advise you to find somewhere else. You can set yourself up as a broke for someone such as Network Insurance and get appointed with lots of carriers.
My experience with HealthMarkets would be that they seemed pretty shady 10 years ago

Why is it a good idea or bad idea to work for them as a new agent?

Lousy, non-conforming health "insurance" plans
Hyped opportunity
Hyped product benefits
Clients that use their policy for anything major will not be happy campers

They are now set up as a seller of all plans so that you or your customer can do a comparison. Except you will never see the lead until it has been worked over by your upline 6 ways to Sunday.
One of their managers once told me to write a care plan for my family so that I could generate a commission and then stop pay on the check so my account would not get dinged for the premium but I would have almost immediate access to the commission generated. I did not need a healthcare plan but he insisted that this was an acceptable practice in the company and I would get to see what the policy looked like which went out to customers. He was foolish enough to put everything into an email he sent me and I was able to use that document to get out from under any chargeback I had when I left.

Unless they have changed the manner in which they assign leads (managers get first pick) I would advise you to find somewhere else. You can set yourself up as a broke for someone such as Network Insurance and get appointed with lots of carriers.

How long ago did they do this? And how do I find out if it's different now?
My experience with HealthMarkets would be that they seemed pretty shady 10 years ago

They are now set up as a seller of all plans so that you or your customer can do a comparison. Except you will never see the lead until it has been worked over by your upline 6 ways to Sunday.
One of their managers once told me to write a care plan for my family so that I could generate a commission and then stop pay on the check so my account would not get dinged for the premium but I would have almost immediate access to the commission generated. I did not need a healthcare plan but he insisted that this was an acceptable practice in the company and I would get to see what the policy looked like which went out to customers. He was foolish enough to put everything into an email he sent me and I was able to use that document to get out from under any chargeback I had when I left.

Wow. That sounds pretty shady. Any idea if him saying it's an acceptable practice was true or not?

Of course it wasnt acceptable..It was fraud. I knew it and didn't do it. Writing a check that you know you are going to cancel for a policy you will cancel in order to get a paycheck is flat out theft. The same manager took a paper application I wrote, placed his name as writing agent because he had spoken with customer a few weeks before and didn't mean to give me the lead. I was gone the next day.

I created a new account to make this post (in case any HM people see it)...I know this thread is almost a year old but...

HealthMarkets has been a very good way for me to get started and I've been with them for awhile. More than 5 years.

Now, I am leaving because i've grown beyond them and going 100% indy. I am a broker and I have all large carriers in my offerings. You do get to keep your book after 3 years. You do have a noncompete for 12 months. Which is pretty standard.

I'm leaving because they won't let me start my own agency under them and even if they did, I feel they take too much commission for that to happen.

I am a six figure producer and based on my research, I'll make at least 30% more at street.

Back