Any ideas would be appreciated.

Michael Collier

Just got issued my license to sell personal lines of P&C insurance today. Any advice from experienced agents on do's and don'ts for the first couple years?

Yeah, get in to commercial lines as quickly as possible.

Personal insurance is becoming more and more commoditized, and going more and more to captives like Geico, Progressive, Lemonade etc. Someone on here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Geico just overtook State Farm as the number one auto insurance writer in the US. Furthermore, I would be shocked to see if there is any significant money to be made in auto insurance 10 or 15 years from now, when cars are driving themselves.

@Markthebroker
Thank you for your response. I'll definitely look into commercial lines. But, if I was to stay in personal lines, do you think there'd be any benefit in becoming a captive agent for a company like geico or progressive? Or do you think it'd still be better to move away from personal lines all together?

Take a look a position with Geico or Progressive. I would imagine there is a lot of stability, and might be good benefits.

Commercial lines will have a steep learning curve, and is a different sales process, but there is much more earnings potential, and depending on your situation, freedom.

Back