Appeals court upholds Trump administration's expansion of short-term health plans

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Appeals court upholds Trump administration's expansion of short-term health plans - CNNPolitics

Margaret Murray, CEO of the Association for Community Affiliated Plans, the lead appellant, said the group will ask the full DC Circuit to hear the case.

"So long as junk insurance plans are permitted to compete directly with comprehensive, Affordable Care Act-compliant insurance plans, the health care protections of the ACA -- and the consumers who rely on them -- are in jeopardy," she said in a statement.

The Democratic-led House Committee on Energy and Commerce last month released a nearly 200-page report that found enrollment in short-term plans increased by 600,000 last year to 3 million policyholders in nine companies examined. Also, these policies often leave people saddled with thousands of dollars in medical debt because they do not provide comprehensive coverage, the report said.

The Department of Health and Human Services called the ruling a major win.

InsurancePimp said:

Solution: Make it harder to get affordable short term plans, that will help them!

STM is OK in some cases, but in my State (PA), you can only have one for 364 days. If you need another and can't pass UW then, you're SOL.

I know some other States have shorter terms than PA, though.

I love how they refer to Short-Term as "junk insurance." For MANY people, ACA plans are BEYOND insanely expensive. Is Short-Term going to be good for everyone? Of course not. But it's great for a good many of people. If you're a healthier person that takes care of themself and barely visits a doctor, why would you pay $800/mo for an ACA plan when you can get a Short-Term catastrophic plan for $400/mo?? If I was facing that situation, it would be a no-brainer in taking the Short-Term plan. This is what happens, and this is the problem, when you start letting clueless politicians start making your choices for you. They just funnel you into one thing that may not be best for your own UNIQUE situation.

Back