Application Question

malibu

Hello, I am new here, and I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum, but the forum where you can ask questions seems to have no activity at all so I figured I could ask the experts on here.

I just turned 27 years old. Up until age 26 (or 25? I forget) I was under my parents health insurance plan. After this coverage ended, I made the fatal mistake of not applying for my own personal health insurance within 63 days of being removed from my parents plan.

On 3/14/2009 I applied for Anthem through eHealthInsurance.com.

My only pre existing condition at the time was generalized anxiety disorder, for which I was, at the time, receiving occasional therapy for.

Because of this, I was denied for the generalized anxiety disorder (they also cited being overweight, I was 6'1, 250lbs at the time, but I have lose 30 pounds since then).

In the denial letter they stated that if I went 2 years treatment and symptom free, I could apply again. That two year mark is this upcoming March 15, 2011, and I have not been treated for anxiety at all since my application in 2009. While I do take one medication for it (Prozac, once a day) I do not receive treatment for it anymore and consider it a non problem.

My question is-

1) Do I really need to wait until March to apply again, regardless of the company? Would applying now be a bad idea? I've had to be so careful over the last two years without health insurance, I'd really like to get it ASAP.

2) If I DO need to wait, should I wait until a week or so after the 2 year anniversary just to make sure that they know it has been a full two years?

Basically I'd really like to get quality health insurance asap and if it is possible to get it now (or am able to apply without it affecting me applying again in March if I DO get denied) I'd really like to.

Thank you for any help, it is much appreciated.

Hi - I am assuming you are in California? I am in Georgia so am probably not the right person to answer this, but the 2-year rule was Anthem's rule, not a general health rule so you won't be penalized for applying with a different carrier unless the rules are different in CA. That being said, and again, I am in GA, but you might try Kaiser Permanente. I don't know your personal feeling about HMO plans but it is just a suggestion. California agents, help this guy out here! He is trying to do the right thing and get coverage, as well as improving his health. Also, in my experience, if everyone that took Prozac only was denied coverage, there wouldn't be too many people to insure, at least in the state of Georgia. Again, CA agents feel free to correct me if I am wrong about any advice I am giving here, don't want to steer this person down the wrong path.

Back