Applying for Medicare

Again, I don't want to reply in the other thread for fear of shutting off agent comments.

Since I already have SS and Medicare, I can't test very far into the question process, but starting on one of the SS links provided suggests that current procedures require a MySocialSecurity account to do the Medicare application where he doesn't have part A.

If your client does not already have a MySocialSecurity account, I would suggest you encourage him to create that now. I don't know how it works currently, but the application process used to be somewhat frustrating for some because it had several personal identity questions that required you to remember things like old financial institutions where you had car or home loans. It seems to me like I had to go through that run of questions two or three times before I got the hang of what they were doing and remembered the correct stuff. If he gets that out of the way now when there is no time pressure, I expect the rest of the process will be much easier.

I did not delay my Part A app and I did my Part B app when I could still go to a SS office, so current procedures are unknown to me. However, I suspect you should prepare your client for the possibility that he will have to do one online application for Part A through MySocialSecurity and then do a separate online app for Part B through that online process.

Basically I think he should have a functioning MySocialSecurity account now, have all the info he needs (including Part B employer info) for Part A and Part B application, and then just flow with the screens when he gets to application time.

Your client may be a person who likes standing on the edge of cliffs. I don't like pushing time limits like that, but it sounds to me like he has planned this carefully, so my guess is he is perfectly capable of dealing with the application processes.

If an individual has put off applying for Medicare Part A and Part B until age 67 due to having credible coverage through work, what is the best way to apply on-line? I generally go to: "ssa.gov/benefits/medicare" to set up a "My Social Security" account, and then apply for Part B and Social Security through that site. I know he will have to prove that he has had credible coverage for Part B and Part D since turning 65, but I'm sure what other steps he will need to take. Is there an additional form he needs to complete?

Yes, that is correct. If you are over the age of 65, have not enrolled in Medicare Part B or Part A yet, and have had creditable coverage through your employment, then you will need to complete both an “Application for Medicare Benefits” as well as the L564 Form (also known as the “Request for Employment Info” form).

Completing your “Application for Medicare Benefits” can be done in 2 different ways - through requesting a Phone Interview Application by calling your local Social Security office and scheduling a time for them to call you back to complete it, or through the Online Application process, which you can access at ssa.gov/benefits/medicare and are able to complete entirely on your own.

The L564 Form needs to be completed by the employer that you have had your creditable coverage through. This form can be accessed here: www.taptap.st/FormL564

If your employer is not accessible to complete the L564 Form for you, alternative documentation may be allowed.

To see a full overview of this Enrollment Profile and the specific process required, you can view an illustrative guide here: www.taptap.st/EP3-Guide

Caveat, not an agent.
Another reason to get a my social security account.

He should be able to log into his MySocialSecurity account, look at his benefit verification letter and see a Medicare number if one exists for him. (It is no longer the SSN followed by a letter like it used to be.)

Back