Are med sups doomed ?

Show me 1 even 1 agent in the last 3 years that’s writing 200 new sups a yr ? I bet you can’t show me one . You older agents sitting in big books . But many of those sups hitting 6yrs were little commission payable .Keeping your med sup book level in the yrs to come will be very difficult on books of 800 or more .

I sell 80 to 100 supps by pure referrals or T65 from my ACA book, a wonderful MC pipeline i might add.

And yes, the 6 yr cliff is definitely an issue, but the new med supps replace that lost income. And if I learned underwriting better, it would be easier to replace that income by rolling folks.

If I actually cared to market or spend a dime to grow my biz, I could do 200 med supps a year. I even took off "thank you in advance for any referrals" from my email signature to slow things down. For other agents out there, that was a quiet way of asking for referrals that worked wonders.

But, it took the first 10 years to reach that level, with the recent 10 years spent enjoying the fruits of my labor

It’s seems more and more “healthy “ T-65’s opt for mapd because they “rarely “ use services. We can argue what’s better a sup or mapd . But what we can’t argue is what will happen to future pricing with sups .If mostly sickier t-65’s buy med sups and mostly sickier people keep med sups as they get older . What happens to pricing ?.Med sups need a big influx of healthy people to keep rates increases even at 8-10%. Every company will be playing shell games and closing blocks . Those people will be stuck with 15-25% rate increases . If necessary mapd plans can reduce or eliminate extra benefits to keep medical benefits stable .
MAPD is the future of all health insurance in the United States.

It may be another 10-15 years before it happens, but the trend is clear.

Show me 1 even 1 agent in the last 3 years that’s writing 200 new sups a yr ? I bet you can’t show me one . You older agents sitting in big books . But many of those sups hitting 6yrs were little commission payable .Keeping your med sup book level in the yrs to come will be very difficult on books of 800 or more .
Hasn't been yet

MAPD is the future of all health insurance in the United States.

It may be another 10-15 years before it happens, but the trend is clear.

Don't look at the numbers, watch the politics. If anything, the liberals will one day get their wish of Medicare for all, and that's OM, not the mapd for profit route. While I'm a conservative, I do think orig Medicare for all would be a nice solution to this disaster of a medical system.

It's like $190 on fl west coast for plan G, and about $250 on southeast coast. Not a bday rule state

What happens when a Blue state refugee or any other out of stater with a cheaper existing Plan G moves residence to FL? Do they have to update their plan to the new higher FL rate? TX rates are a lot lower, like $115-125 for a T65 Plan G female.

Blue cross AZ let's u keep AZ rates when move to other states. UHC adjusts them up or down according to state and rates they move to. Yes, up if they move to florida, along with their home insurance rates

Don would stave to death if he brought his business model to Butte County, Ca.
I sell Plan G all day long to T65’s for $92/ month.
I can sell MA’s, we have 2. Deductibles, Copays, large MOOP, lousy network.
Less than 1% of my book is MA.
To tell you the truth, I don’t want the client if they want a MA. These people will move if they can save $1. Plus, they bitch and moan too much.
My office sells more than 200 med Supps per year. ALL in our office, and, I spend $0 on marketing/advertising.

Don would stave to death if he brought his business model to Butte County, Ca.
I sell Plan G all day long to T65’s for $92/ month.
I can sell MA’s, we have 2. Deductibles, Copays, large MOOP, lousy network.
Less than 1% of my book is MA.
To tell you the truth, I don’t want the client if they want a MA. These people will move if they can save $1. Plus, they bitch and moan too much.
My office sells more than 200 med Supps per year. ALL in our office, and, I spend $0 on marketing/advertising.

In my note I meant to say a new agent starting out writing 200 . And no I wouldn’t starve .I’d adapt and sell plan G . I sell what the mkt and my demographics want . And that’s mapd

Back