Are You Leaving the Health Business?

(that's FIVE years ago, and long before Yagents was around)

I think you mean long before Yagents was on this forum. He's been around for a long time, with many years of experience in this industry as well as the financial industry.

Thanks for your viewpoint, moonlightandmargaritas, because it is valid. I don't mean to downplay that view. But don't assume that those of us who stayed are not successful, nor positioned for more success, nor invested in other streams of revenue besides health insurance, nor incapable of pivoting to whatever avenue for success appears most attractive among a list of opportunities.

I think you mean long before Yagents was on this forum.
That's exactly what I meant. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression.
But don't assume that those of us who stayed are not successful, nor positioned for more success, nor invested in other streams of revenue besides health insurance, nor incapable of pivoting to whatever avenue for success appears most attractive among a list of opportunities.
Never said that. My point is that while all can, many stubbornly haven't. Hoping against hope, if you will.

Thanks Ann, but no need to defend me. I think he means before I joined the forum in 10/10'.

The more that leave, the more for me
The more complicated it is, the bigger need for me

Why Agents? (Y agents) - because I said so

I did well before I started providing health insurance, 8 years ago, and have no doubt I will continue even if I lose health commissions. I have always used health insurance as a way to cross sell life and disability. Even without being compensated, I would consider helping clients if only to to look at their other coverage.

I have been in indy health for 21 years.... and will probably be in it for another 21.... the sky is not falling and it wont..lots of agents left and im glad... I also like the fact this law is a cluster puck... confusion causes opportunity and im one opportunistic turd.....

also, I said I have only done health insurance... that also means medicare.... last I checked all Medigap plans are the same and there are thousands of agents selling them.... mapd, there is medicare.gov that acts as an exchange and there are still agents selling them too......

moonie, we have known each other a long long time and I have always respected your view however, I don't agree with ya here... they sky is falling mentality is the exact mentality expressed back in the late 1700's when a group of patriots said England could and would be defeated.....

success is there but only the best of the best will survive.... if an agent thinks that they can just wake up from a rock and learn this stuff in 3 months... nope, they will fail... they may make some sales but they aint poised for success.....within a year they will be gone.... I see people posting and I read their comments about claiming they can learn this in training and I think to myself nope, they are kidding themselves, failure looms..... learning something and knowing something are 2 different things... I know the health reform law, I know how it will affect families both good and bad....and I can apply that knowledge to each situation
I know who they are and they know in their heart who they are....

winners prepare and losers slack off

Last edited:
As an FYI, don't take my posts as gloom and doom. Car insurance is a commodity, but there are still agents. Life insurance is sold, not bought. There is still a place for health agents.

I just am not sure I want to deal with the regulatory environment any more when it has such an effect on my sanity (and probably my overall health as well).

Anyone know what the average commission is for an auto and homeowners policy? Doesn't seem there's any shortage of P&C agents.

I know my auto premium is around $50 a month. So the agent gets...what...$5 to $8 off that?

I am thinking about leaving if I can get an underwriter's job somewhere.

Like tater I sort of like the confusion, in the seminar's I have attended because I see the average age and I would guess 50% of them won't make it and I try to help with their decisions when we're on break and hear them moaning and groaning. I go a long with them and encourage them to leave.:D

Last edited:
Back