Are you obligated to work with Secret Shoppers?

Unlike the DOI who have to identify themselves and show credentials, Secret Shoppers are allowed to remain secret. Agents in kiosks or giving sales seminars understand the role of the SS, and treat them like any other consumer. But we've had a lot of agents complain that SS are calling to set in home appointments and they know its a SS. Agents are not obligated to go--but if they can't create the impression they violated any of the prospects rights. First, you know it is a SS when he calls in and says he was referred to you. When you ask WHO referred him...he can't remember the name. Bingo.

No you are not obligated to waste your time. Just tell him your schedule won't permit an appointment and refer him to other agents or the carrier telesales department.

There used to be a carrier that actually paid an agent when he completed a Secret Shop. This is a very respectful way to treat agents and I'd like to see this popularized.

Why look for ways to beat the system instead of just running the appointment, doing your job, and treating the person like any other. Answer the questions, show the material, you might pick up on where your knowledge has let you down a bit.

Unlike the DOI who have to identify themselves and show credentials, Secret Shoppers are allowed to remain secret. Agents in kiosks or giving sales seminars understand the role of the SS, and treat them like any other consumer. But we've had a lot of agents complain that SS are calling to set in home appointments and they know its a SS. Agents are not obligated to go--but if they can't create the impression they violated any of the prospects rights. First, you know it is a SS when he calls in and says he was referred to you. When you ask WHO referred him...he can't remember the name. Bingo.

No you are not obligated to waste your time. Just tell him your schedule won't permit an appointment and refer him to other agents or the carrier telesales department.

There used to be a carrier that actually paid an agent when he completed a Secret Shop. This is a very respectful way to treat agents and I'd like to see this popularized.

Yes we have a physical office location. So they all call us an want to meet. It really pizzes you off when you have a full calendar and then realize one of those time drains just wasted an opportunity for a real appointment.

Now we weed them out easily. Just like you said. They have no idea who refered them. And they have other tells. Sorry bub. All booked up.

Why look for ways to beat the system instead of just running the appointment, doing your job, and treating the person like any other. Answer the questions, show the material, you might pick up on where your knowledge has let you down a bit.

Not sure I would call it beating the system. But why do the appointment if you already know beforehand that you are just walking into an appointment where someone's sole goal is to find something you are doing wrong and then report you?

There is nothing positive about that appointment. You, the agent, can only lose in this situation, even if it is only your time.

Maybe because its lost time that could be used to sign real people

I am pulling my hair out every time a client calls me back at this point in November and wants to go over their PDP plan we went over weeks ago When I have leads coming in

I've lost a huge amount of time with PDP's thier year due to all the issues

I would not like it if I did in-home appointment and found out I lost a bunch of time dealing with secret shoppers

I don't do in-home and I have not had to deal with secret shoppers(ALthough I quickly weed out anyone wasting my time so maybe I don't even know it)

But time is a huge commodity this time of year

If they did it during a slow period I would agree. But they always book appointments during the busiest time of the year. They should be required to pay for wasting your time.

If you want to work for free, that is admirable. Most agents don't have that luxury. If you are contracted with many carriers, this can be a considerable drain on your agency's time. We are not trying to beat any system.

I got paid on a secret shopper once selling home improvements. The deal with the people was that if I convinced them to put our product on their house, the company would reimburse them their purchase price and I still got a commission.:cool:
But every industry uses secret shoppers, get over it.:cry:

Back