Auto Mailing/News Letter Ect.

Al
I can see how your letter adds value to you with your clients.
Now is this letter helping you to obtain new business.
For example you stated the local bank sent you a gift basket for recommending them. Do you feel that is door opener for you if you wanted to chase the group health business at the bank? It sounds like the letter should give you a steady stream of referrals.

My newsletter is just one of several marketing "tools" I use. My attitude about it is that it can't hurt my biz and may help it. I know I get a few leads (calls) on it and of course I've written some biz on it, but it is not a big enough generator of income by itself. I'm a good writer... but I'm not THAT good. Besides, I really don't spend as much time on the newsletter as do trying to get on TV, radio, or in the major daily paper.

The concept (not a new one) is to be considered an "pundit" on some topic or other. It is not easy to do but if you persist in sending the local TV, radio stations and print media some story ideas they will contact you. For example I suggested to the editor of the local Business Journal (he is a friend of mine) the following:

.... Call me if you ever want to know anything about the life or health insurance industry.

I don't know why you have never done a story about the general agents in town that we field agents use for life and group health (sometimes)... AAAA (hate them), BBBB (never answer their phone), CCCC (OK, but disorganized), DDDD (good people, crappy web site) EEEE (best local life GA), FFFF (like why?))

You should do a story on how small biz can save big dollars on health insurance... or how to avoid being ripped off by the XXXX and YYYYs of the world and their crapola limited-benefit plans.

You should do a story on why so many life/health/DI/LTC agents are leaving the biz and why young people are not going into the biz.

You should do a story why the old stereotype of the fast-talking life insurance salesman is so-not-true anymore.

You should do a story on why so many people are looking (again) at life insurance is a safe haven for a part of their nest egg.

You should do a story on when, how, and why to convert term life to permanent life.

You should do a story on why Variable Universal Life is evil!

You should do a story on why stand-alone LTC (long term care) policies can be problematic... and why a life plan with a LTC rider might be a better deal (i.e. the John Hancock LifeCare concept.)

You should do a story on how HSA health plans are quickly gaining favor with mid-size companies who have been hammered by huge increases in their current health plans.

You should do a story on why Western Health Advantage does not allow people to use Sutter Hospital.

You should do a story on how really smart agents use a blend of term and perm to get higher life coverage for a lower premium.

You should do a story on how most agents are not on the side of the client when it comes to the concept of universal health care.

You should do a story on why the old venerable whole-life policy is suddenly back in style.

You should do a story on buy-sell agreements... and what goes into them.

You get the idea. Give the media some ideas and many of them will call you to flesh them out... and will maybe profile you... or at least give you a mention or a ten-second sound-bite.

This is called Marketing 101. I didn't invent it. I don't even do it too well. But I succeed because most agents don't do it at all! :no:

Al

Back