BCBS-Illinois: News and Updates

Not sure what you guys are seeing, but I'm looking at a few 12/1 renewal docs coming in, and they aren't pretty. Groups that have seen under 10% the past couple of years are now looking at 45-54% increases. I'm not happy, especially considering they have limited claims.

Stuy119, the 26.8% increase is what BCBS-IL is requesting for individual policies with effective dates between 3/23/2010 to 12/31/2013, with a premium increase effective date of January 1, 2015.

If HHS turns down the request, Blue Cross will likely terminate that block of (est.) 175,000 Illinois policies, IMO.

BCBS-IL group plans are skyrocketing that much? Wow. Must be due to taxes and fees, since they were pretty much ObamaCare compliant anyway, weren't they?

Stuy119, the 26.8% increase is what BCBS-IL is requesting for individual policies with effective dates between 3/23/2010 to 12/31/2013, with a premium increase effective date of January 1, 2015.

If HHS turns down the request, Blue Cross will likely terminate that block of (est.) 175,000 Illinois policies, IMO.

BCBS-IL group plans are skyrocketing that much? Wow. Must be due to taxes and fees, since they were pretty much ObamaCare compliant anyway, weren't they?

These were early renewals for 12/1 group renewals that were early. Groups that were seeing minimal increases prior to this year, even some decreases. No idea how I'm going to work this out with them.

August 27, 2014

From my interpretation of the latest SERFF filings for Illinois, it looks like Blue Cross (Health Care Services Corporation) has withdrawn the request to cancel all 2010 thru 2013 Individual plans, and will instead increase their premiums by 26.8%.

Ref: https://filingaccess.serff.com/sfa/home/il
(For the search: Choose "Individual Major Medical" with a date range of 3/1/2014 to current date.)

As incredible as it sounds, a 26.8% increase will still result in a lower premium than a 2015 ObamaCare metal plan for those over 400% of the Federal Poverty Level.
-ac

I wish Humana would make the same decision.

Stuy119, do you think many of your Humana clients will be converting to 2015 Humana ACA-Compliant plans when theirs are terminated on 12/31/2014?

Due to Humana's history of higher than average premium increases, I only have a few clients left. They'll be BCBS-IL clients come 1/1/2015, if Blue Cross premiums are lower than all the other companies once again.
Allen

I have very few. I'm just hoping they'll do it so I can keep my plan and not see a massive increase, something around 200% (was the increase to switch last year).

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Just viewed a BCBS-IL slideshow presentation describing the 2015 strategy. Agents, you can view this in the Training section of your online office at bcbsil.com.

To Summarize Important Points...
1. Unlike Texas BCBS, NO existing BCBS ILLINOIS plans/customers written before 2014 are being cancelled.
2. 2014 clients will be automatically renewed in the same plan for 2015. Letters going out at the end of October will explain this and the options to choose a different plan during Open Enrollment, if desired.
3. Minor changes to some plans related to Co-pays amounts. Nothing major.
4. One New Bronze level plan and One New Catastrophic level plan.
5. Dental plans for adults/children/families will be available On/Off Exchange as stand-alone products.
6. If an applicant's existing or requested agent is not Exchange/Marketplace Certified in Illinois, a pop-up window will be presented to the online shopper letting them know that if they buy on-exchange, their agent will be removed.

Comment: No mention of premium changes, but if you see my prior posts above, there is a substantial increase pending for "Grandmothered" policies..those effective between 3/20/2010 and 12/31/2013. Also, we should assume that an increase is coming for the ACA plans on 1/1/2015, but not as much as the 26.8% increase requested for the Grandmothered policies.

-Allen

As far as I understand it....
Assuming BCBS of IL has 2nd lowest silver plan in 2015, any increase in their ACA plans will not affect customers with subsidies if they resubmit their ACA application after 11/15. Supposing they resubmit their ACA application with the same information including income, they should be even paying a few $ less then in 2014. Why? Because FPL has increased which means their FPL % in 2015 will be less then this year.
Do you agree?

Yep. I concur Pancur. If BCBS-IL maintains it's price leadership role, our existing subsidized BCBS clients shouldn't see hardly any change in premium for 1/1/2015, assuming all income factors you pointed out stay the same. They will be auto-enrolled into the same plan they have now.
ac

Do you know when we'll know who has the 2nd lowest Silver Plan in IL for 2015? Will we be able to see all IL companies rates before 11/15/2014?

Back