BCBS-Illinois: News and Updates

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois informed it's agent community today that all non-grandfathered individual health insurance plans will be automatically converted to an Affordable Care Act compliant plan on January 1, 2014, unless the member chooses to purchase an ACA compliant plan before that date. It's expected that the premium will be significantly higher. (Premiums are expected to be shared at some point in September. Hopefully EARLY September.)

However, 48% of Illinois residents will qualify for a Federal Subsidy that will offset the higher premiums, to some degree.
See if you qualify: Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Postcards will be sent out to all BCBS-IL policy owners "in the coming weeks". It will tell them how to make an informed choice when the Exchanges open on October 1st.

For efficiency and time-saving reasons, BCBS-IL members who have an agent should contact that person for assistance and guidance.

When more info becomes available regarding Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as we move into 2014 (plans, prices, network, commissions, etc.), I'll add that information to this thread.

-Allen in Chicagoland

No 2013 individual health applications accepted by BCBS-IL from September 1, 2013 thru September 31, 2013. Policy Processing systems will be undergoing a re-tooling in preparation for October 1, 2013.
ac

Postcards will be sent out to all BCBS-IL policy owners "in the coming weeks". It will tell them how to make an informed choice when the Exchanges open on October 1st.

For efficiency and time-saving reasons, BCBS-IL members who have an agent should contact that person for assistance and guidance.

-Allen in Chicagoland

Today I got the postcard from Blues but it says nothing about contacting my agent (which is me as well). Instead it says:
"If your budget or needs have changed, you will be able to go online at bcbsil.com beginning October 1, 2013, to view and select a new plan for 2014."
Please see the attachment.
Am I reading it correctly? If my current bcbs clients go to bsbcil.com and buy from them directly I won't see a dime.

Attachments

• BCBSofIL-Mail.jpg
    BCBSofIL-Mail.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 12
That means that it's time to contact all of your customers (if you haven't already).

Today I got the postcard from Blues but it says nothing about contacting my agent (which is me as well). Instead it says:
"If your budget or needs have changed, you will be able to go online at bcbsil.com beginning October 1, 2013, to view and select a new plan for 2014."
Please see the attachment.
Am I reading it correctly? If my current bcbs clients go to bsbcil.com and buy from them directly I won't see a dime.

Pancur, the card image you attached is what BCBS-IL is sending out to Grandfathered policyowners. FYI, the card being sent out to Non-GF policyowners says that they MUST choose a new plan this year...on October 1st or later.

Here is what Blue Cross says in their August 14th edition of "News from the Blues" for producers:

'We consider producers our valued partners in serving the health benefits coverage needs of our customers. We appreciate your help as we transition to the new 2014 products.

Commission information will be announced in the coming weeks. Please note that all policyholders you retain through this migration period will continue to earn commissions.

We’re here to help you serve the best interests of your customers. We are committed to providing you with the information you need to assist them. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance with an application
."

Admittedly, that highlighted sentence is poorly worded and a bit ambiguous. But it seems to be saying that Blue Cross will continue to pay commissions to the agent-of-record if his/her customer follows any of the card's instructions that leads to them purchasing a new policy.
-ac

Saturday 9/28/2013

"Intended by the Obama administration to spark competition, the health insurance exchange in Illinois instead is likely to strengthen the state's largest insurer, Blue Cross & Blue Shield.

Small-business owners in the Chicago area will find fewer choices on the exchange than in the private market. Humana Inc. and Aetna Inc., the state's third- and fourth-largest insurers for small groups, respectively, are selling only individual policies on the exchange, Quinn administration officials disclosed last week."

Full Story: Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center

ac

October 28, 2013

Here's an example of what I'm seeing when reviewing the options that Blue Cross is offering existing clients...

I saw a BCBS-IL client today to go over the choices that the company presented. If she took the SIMILAR BENEFITS option, her premium would increase from $371 per month to $764 per month! The SIMILAR PRICE option had a $2,500 higher deductible, and it was the BLUE CHOICE PPO policy.

There are 4 hospitals within 10 miles of where she lives (Crystal Lake, IL). By choosing the $764 option, she'd have the $2,500 higher deductible, and also all 4 hospitals in the network. If she had chosen the BLUE CHOICE plan, NONE OF THE 4 hospitals were in the plan's network. Neither was her gynecologist. The Blue Choice plan network for 2014 is a whopping 70% smaller than the regular BCBS PPO network!

Because this client is healthy, we simply moved her over to Humana with a December 30th 2013 effective date. Premium, benefits, PPO Network is the same as she has now with BCBS-IL. In one year, her good fortune will end and there will be no choice but to take an expensive ObamaCare plan. Maybe by then enough people will have written their Congressmen to get this law changed, or repealed.

To agents with BCBS-IL clients, and to BCBS-IL members visiting this forum, be sure to check the Physician Finder tool at www.bcbsil.com before making any decisions on what 2014 plan to buy.
allen

Last edited:
Friday, November 22, 2013

Illinois sides with it's former Senator, President Obama and ALLOWS extension of plans. The State's largest insurer, and the largest company to cancel plans effective 12-31-2013, BCBS-IL, says it will comply with any "requirements".

Story: Illinois to let companies sell old health insurance plans - chicagotribune.com

If BCBS-IL deems the state's decision as a "requirement", it will be interesting to see what their rates will be for these newly extended policies. I've transferred a lot of mine to Aetna, Humana, UHCare. Have the feeling they'll be calling to cancel those new plans and stay with BCBS-IL, since it's the least expensive. Lot of time, gas, words, etc.. for naught.
-ac

Last edited:
Back