Bcbspa ?

I sell Independence Blue Cross in the 5 county Philadelphia area. The major medical plans include Blue Cross (underwritten by IBC) AND PA Blue Shield (underwritten by Highmark). Again, regardless which Major Medical BX plan you sell anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Blue Shield portion is underwritten by Highmark who owns PA Blue Shield in all 67 counties of the state of Pennsylvania What portion of that do you not understand. Call Highmark if you wish---if you are lucky and get a knowledgeable person (odds are against it) they will confirm what I have stated.

Last edited:
Arnguy,

WHAT HIGHMARK INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP PRODUCTS CAN BE SOLD IN THE 5 County PHILA AREA.

What GA can I get licensed with to sell Highmark Products in PHILA?

PHILA is one of the 67 Counties correct? What Portion of the question above do you not understand?

Thanks in advance.

When you are appointed with Independence Blue Cross and you make a sale of their Major Medical products you have sold the subscriber a policy that consists of two parts: Part One: Independence Blue Cross hospitalization AND Part Two: PA Blue Shield physician coverage. You do not need to be licensed/appointed with Highmark to make that sale. I don't know any other way to explain it, but the Blue Shield portion is a Highmark product. If I were to sell a Capital Blue Cross or a Northeastern PA Blue Cross Major Medical Plan.the same would hold true. To reiterate, you do not need to be appointed by Highmark to sell their PA Blue Shield Plan in any PA county. To me that defines STATEWIDE. There is only one Blue Shield Plan in the entire state. You do need to be appointed through a GA for each of the four BXs to sell their plans, but it is not necessary to be appointed with Highmark unless you wish to sell Highmark Blue Cross in the 29 counties of Western PA! If that doesn't define statewide, then please provide a definition.

well for starters

Its Highmark BCBS that services the 29 counties in Western Pa. Statewide to me has nothing to do with underwriting. Statewide to me.. is WHO ISSUES THE DAMN INSURANCE POLICY. Highmark Blue Shield does not issue INSUARANCE POLICY's in each of the 67 counties tthroughout Pa.

You keep avoiding my question.

What HIGHMARK BLUE SHIELD individual and group products can be sold in the 5 County Phila area?

...You keep avoiding my question.What HIGHMARK BLUE SHIELD individual and group products can be sold in the 5 County Phila area?
Answer:Highmark Blue Shield under the imprimatur of Independence Blue Cross!
Highmark Blue Shield was formed with the merger of Blue Cross of Western PA and PA Blue Shield. See below information from the Highmark Blue Shield website.

Important Legal Information: Health care benefit programs are issued or administered by Highmark Blue Shield or Highmark Health Insurance Company, independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross Blue Shield plans. Information on this website is issued by Highmark Blue Shield on behalf of these companies, which serve the 21 counties of central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley as full-service health plans. Highmark Blue Shield also provides services in conjunction with Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania in northeastern Pennsylvania and Independence Blue Cross in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Man, you are hard headed!! Why can't you understand that in PA there is one (1) Blue Shield plan statewide!!!!!!

The Blue Shield policies are issued together with the Blue Cross policies issued by the four(4) [count them] Blue Cross licensees in PA: Blue Cross of Northeastern PA, Capitol Blue Cross, Independence Blue Cross, and Highmark Blue Cross.
'Nuff said!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just to add a little icing on the cake, pahealthquotes, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

Highmark is a not for profit health insurance company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the largest health insurer in Pennsylvania, and through a purchase in 1996, the largest health insurer in West Virginia. As Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield, it primarily serves the 29 counties of western Pennsylvania. As Highmark Blue Shield it services all of Pennsylvania. There is also a presence in the border areas of eastern Ohio, and all of West Virginia through its subsidiary Mountain State Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Recently purchased a 40% stake in the largest health insurer in northeastern Pennsylvania as well, Blue Cross of North East Pennsylvania BCNEPA. It is currently one of the largest not-for-profit health insurers in the United States which owns several for-profit subsidiaries.

I hope that you are now convinced I am correct in stating that it is statewide. BTE I don't know what the hell those "W" bold caps mean.

Last edited:
Answer:Highmark Blue Shield under the imprimatur of Independence Blue Cross!
Highmark Blue Shield was formed with the merger of Blue Cross of Western PA and PA Blue Shield. See below information from the Highmark Blue Shield website.

Important Legal Information: Health care benefit programs are issued or administered by Highmark Blue Shield or Highmark Health Insurance Company, independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross Blue Shield plans. Information on this website is issued by Highmark Blue Shield on behalf of these companies, which serve the 21 counties of central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley as full-service health plans. Highmark Blue Shield also provides services in conjunction with Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania in northeastern Pennsylvania and Independence Blue Cross in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Man, you are hard headed!! Why can't you understand that in PA there is one (1) Blue Shield plan statewide!!!!!!

The Blue Shield policies are issued together with the Blue Cross policies issued by the four(4) [count them] Blue Cross licensees in PA: Blue Cross of Northeastern PA, Capitol Blue Cross, Independence Blue Cross, and Highmark Blue Cross.
'Nuff said!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just to add a little icing on the cake, pahealthquotes, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

Highmark is a not for profit health insurance company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the largest health insurer in Pennsylvania, and through a purchase in 1996, the largest health insurer in West Virginia. As Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield, it primarily serves the 29 counties of western Pennsylvania. As Highmark Blue Shield it services all of Pennsylvania. There is also a presence in the border areas of eastern Ohio, and all of West Virginia through its subsidiary Mountain State Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Recently purchased a 40% stake in the largest health insurer in northeastern Pennsylvania as well, Blue Cross of North East Pennsylvania BCNEPA. It is currently one of the largest not-for-profit health insurers in the United States which owns several for-profit subsidiaries.

I hope that you are now convinced I am correct in stating that it is statewide. BTE I don't know what the hell those "W" bold caps mean.

Hard Headed.. how about your a DONKEY.

WHAT HIGHMARK BLUE SHIELD INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP PLANS CAN BE SOLD IN THE 5 COUNTY PHILA AREA?

Can you not READ? I asked the question three times.

ITS OK.. I already know the answer.:D

Hard Headed.. how about your a DONKEY.

WHAT HIGHMARK BLUE SHIELD INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP PLANS CAN BE SOLD IN THE 5 COUNTY PHILA AREA?

Can you not READ? I asked the question three times.

ITS OK.. I already know the answer.:D

Ha, ha. Learn English grammar before you post. It is you're not your in the sentence you posted!

Listen up, a$$hole, you absolutely, positively can write Highmark Blue Shield plans in the 5 county Philadelphia area!
Can't you understand that when you sell a Major Medical Plan in the Independence Blue Cross marketing area, the Blue Shield portion is a Highmark Blue Shield plan. There is no IBC Blue Shield plan per se. Any and all Blue Shield plans in the state of Pennsylvania are Highmark Blue Shield plans regardless of what imprimatur the Major Medical plan is written under. How may times must I tell you that if you write a MM plan for any of the four PA BXs the Blue Shield portion is a Highmark Blue Shield plan. You do NOT have to be appointed with Highmark Blue Shield, only appointed through a GA with the particular BX plan you are selling. Highmark Blue Shield has marketing agreements with all the BXs in PA. Didn't you read and understand the Legal Information from Higmark Blue Shield that I posted? If you still don't understand maybe I should respond in Sanskrit, kid. You are STUPID!!!!!!

when dis goin to de fight club?

Apparently, pahealthquotes, has never written an IBC health plan or maybe it's just becuse his IQ is equal to his belt size.

If he would look at an application form from IBC and he were able to read, he would see that at the very top the header states "Independence Blue Cross/ Highmark Blue Shield." However, according to pahealthquotes (a/k/a the moron) that is absolutely a typographical error on all the IBC forms. He should do his duty as a licensed agent and notify IBC first thing tomorrow morning that they are f**ked up and had better reprint their apps to read "Independence Blue Cross and Blue Shield.":laugh: I could tell him to look at:
www.ibx.com/pdfs/health_plans/traditional_indemnity/individual/application.pdf. I don't believe that he would accept that as proof that Highmark Blue Shield is statewide. He could also look at the application form for small business on the ibx.com website but that would be to no avail. Maybe he should look at the forms from the other BXs in PA, too. IMHO he is hopeless! With that having been said, I leave it up to my fellow forum members to decide for themselves if the information I have promulgated is factual and correct. Have a good evening all.:)

Back