Beginner who Needs Guidance

rpoin

I was thinking about changing careers so I took the LH&A test and passed I'm trying to figure out a way to work independently in my spare time. Any suggestions

This might sound harsh, but realistically you'd probably make more money doing a paper route. The majority of new agents fail and the chance of failure is much higher for folks doing it in their "spare time".

If you want to beat the odds, you're going to need good support and a good way to get in front of people. If you're serious about making a commitment to this you're going to be limited to folks that offer contracts and on your own for leads and most support. You could take a look at a group called iliaa.org to get some training for a very reasonable monthly fee. It's all online, but there is some great material on there.

Be prepared to "lose" money on marketing while you find your way. Expect it to take a very long time to get started.

If that all still sounds good, then you'll at least be walking into it knowing what to expect.

What's prompting the desire for change?

I've been in collections for about 10 yrs on 2nd shift and think a change is needed
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Harsh btw is usually hand in hand with the truth. Thanks

Last edited:
If you've toiled (and persevered) in collections for ten years, you undoubtedly have good phone skills....so you are ahead of the game in that regard.
Do as Josh said---learn as much as you can because that knowledge will breed confidence in your product. You have tons of material in this Forum so spend a couple hours a day learning for now.

This might sound harsh, but realistically you'd probably make more money doing a paper route. The majority of new agents fail and the chance of failure is much higher for folks doing it in their "spare time".

This is true - but it can be done. I should know - I got my license and started while in grad school. All I started with was 2 FE contracts and a few other traditional life carriers, a training site (Jody's), and a direct mail contact. I ordered direct mail and a few bad internet leads and knocked doors. It paid the bills.

I wish I had the iliaa at the time, it may have saved me from all the declined fully underwritten policies I tried to get through... As well as a few other mistakes.

What is holding you back from doing it full-time?

You should probably find a company that has some MGA's in your area that way you can get trained, sometimes a MGA can set you up with leads too.

I agree and disagree with Josh. When I started selling insurance I was working a full-time job at a fortune 500 company and did this part-time. Many part-timers do fail and it is hard to chase two rabbits and expect to catch one. However, I committed to it for a solid year... learning, working leads and appointments, worked nights and weekends for one full year. At the end of one full year I made money, quit my full-time job and was working less hours making more money. You can do it but it will require commitment. PM me if you want to discuss further and good luck to you.

Back